Threat made about two hours before tipoff
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- A 41-year-old man was charged Sunday with calling in a fake bomb threat at The Palace two hours before Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals.
David Mathew-Anthony Demeres was charged with two felonies -- making a false report of terrorism and making a false report of a bomb threat, police said. He was arraigned Sunday and released on $15,000 cash bond.
Demeres is from Lapeer, about 25 miles from Auburn Hills. There was no telephone listing for him in the area.
The threat was made before Saturday night's game between the Detroit Pistons and Miami Heat. The caller said a bomb would go off if the game were played. Police said security measures implemented after similar cases this season helped identify the suspect.
Earlier this season, the start of a Detroit-Indiana game was delayed almost 90 minutes after a caller said there was a bomb in the Pacers' locker room. No bomb was found. Other threats were called in that night to police and The Palace switchboard after news of the first threat was broadcast.
On Saturday, the Pistons won 91-66 to force Game 7 Monday night in Miami.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Kobe to begin workouts after trip
- Bucks announce sale of team, won't move
- Lakers coach D'Antoni uncertain about future
- UCLA's Anderson, LaVine declare for draft