Preseason prediction: Spurs to come out of West
Our experts predict which team will win the Western Conference.
Editor's note: We asked our panel of NBA experts, "Who will be the Western Conference champion?"
1. San Antonio Spurs (9 votes)
J.A. Adande, ESPN.com:
Jon Barry, ESPN: Going to stick to my guns on this pick. A Pistons-Spurs final might be the worst on style points.
Chad Ford, ESPN.com: The heart says Phoenix, but the head says Phoenix can't beat the Spurs in a seven-game series.
Jemele Hill, ESPN.com: While the story lines hover around Phoenix, L.A and Dallas, the Spurs will quietly go about making their way to the Finals for the fifth time in a decade.
Keith Lipscomb, ESPN.com Fantasy: Just because I have them being edged out in the Southwest doesn't mean I've lost faith in their postseason abilities.
Jack Ramsay, ESPN Radio
Chris Sheridan, ESPN.com: If they avoid Denver in the playoffs, they cruise to the Finals. Yes, that's disrespecting Dallas. But we've lost most of our respect for Dallas the past two postseasons.
Marc Stein, ESPN.com: Heart says it's the Suns' turn
or maybe even the Mavs' turn. Head says that the Spurs are too good to go 0-for-5 on repeats.
Kiki Vandeweghe, ESPN: Enough playoff experience. Players in their prime. Extremely well-coached -- an underrated aspect of their game.
2. Phoenix Suns (5 votes)
Henry Abbott, ESPN.com's TrueHoop: This season, the Suns are breathing fire.
Chris Broussard, ESPN Mag
Mark Jackson, ESPN:
Dallas and San Antonio will have great seasons and know how to win. Golden State's a sleeper and Denver and Utah will be good. But this will be the Suns' year.
Scoop Jackson, ESPN.com BOAWG: Brains over athleticism wins games. That will be the difference between the end of last season and this one.
Jalen Rose, ESPN: Adding Grant Hill helps them all around.
T-3. Dallas Mavericks (2 votes)
Chris Palmer, ESPN Mag: Is it now or never for this bunch? Maybe not, but it sure would be nice if Dirk came through on that whole "untouchable" thing.
David Thorpe, Scouts Inc.: I like teams that pay dues, and this team has paid plenty the past two postseasons. Look for them to be more relaxed this time when it counts.
T-3. Houston Rockets (2 votes)
Ric Bucher, ESPN Mag: Because with Rick Adelman they'll be able to play fast or slow.
John Hollinger, ESPN.com: The three best teams are in Texas, and it's three different Texas finalists in three years if this comes true.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Melo: Knicks bringing in Phil a 'power move'
- Suns end Raptors' home winning streak at 4
- Woodson: Don't feel need to audition for job
- OKC to sit Westbrook in some back-to-backs
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2007-08 NBA PREDICTIONS
It's finally time to get back on the court and play some ball. ESPN.com experts pick their award winners and teams that will take the titles for the 2007-08 season. • One page look: Team title predictions
• One page look: Individual award predictions
TITLES• Atlantic Division Champs
• Southeast Division Champs
• Central Division Champs
• Southwest Division Champs
• Northwest Division Champs
• Pacific Division Champs
• Eastern Conference Champs
• Western Conference Champs
• NBA Champions
AWARDS• Rookie of the Year
• Defensive Player of the Year
• Sixth Man of the Year
• Most Improved Player
• Coach of the Year
• Most Valuable Player
SPORTSNATION• Vote: Predict major award winners
• Vote: How all the league races will shape up
• Vote: Rank the MVP candidates
Team-by-team preview links
• Vote: Atlanta questions
• Vote: Boston questions
• Vote: Charlotte questions
• Vote: Chicago questions
• Vote: Cleveland questions
• Vote: Detroit questions
• Vote: Dallas questions
• Vote: Denver questions
• Vote: Golden State questions
• Vote: Houston questions
• Vote: Indiana questions
• Vote: LA Clippers questions
• Vote: LA Lakers questions
• Vote: Miami questions
• Vote: Milwaukee questions
• Vote: Minnesota questions
• Vote: Memphis questions
• Vote: New Orleans questions
• Vote: Phoenix questions
• Vote: Portland questions
• Vote: Orlando questions
• Vote: New York questions
• Vote: New Jersey questions
• Vote: Philadelphia questions
• Vote: Sacramento questions
• Vote: San Antonio questions
• Vote: Seattle questions
• Vote: Toronto questions
• Vote: Utah questions
• Vote: Washington questions