Allen notches 38 points, but Warriors hold off Sonics

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Don Nelson tried almost every trick he
had to slow down Ray Allen.

Big man, little man. Single coverage, double team. No matter
what combination the Golden State Warriors tried, Allen had an
answer. Until the final seconds.

Matt Barnes made a tiebreaking layup with 1:05 to go, extended
the lead on a goaltending call and distracted Allen enough on a
potential game-tying 3-pointer to preserve the Warriors' 108-104
victory over the Seattle SuperSonics on Saturday night.

"He's a great player and you saw what he did tonight. We were
running double teams at him the whole time," Barnes said. "We had
hands in his face. I was praying he didn't make that last shot. I
was right in his face and he still got a good look at it."

That miss with 14 seconds to play was one of the few Allen had
on a 38-point night that nearly helped Seattle snap its 10-game
road losing streak.

Golden State won its sixth straight home game, despite the
defensive breakdowns that helped Allen get all his points and 16
missed free throws that nearly cost the Warriors the game.

"We finally defended him correctly on the last play of the game
and it was the most important one," Nelson said. "I think we were
just lucky to win this game."

Allen's seventh 3-pointer tied the game at 103 with 2:13 to
play. Both teams traded misses before Baron Davis rebounded an
errant 3-pointer from Monta Ellis, dribbled out from under the
basket and fed Barnes for the go-ahead score with 1:05 to go.

"Everyone was kind of frozen when Baron got the rebound,"
Barnes said. "I couldn't hit nothing. I couldn't throw myself in
the ocean if I wanted to. I saw Baron and he was nodding his head
so I went right down the lane."

Damien Wilkins made one of two free throws for Seattle with 34
seconds to play before Nick Collison was called for goaltending on
Barnes' drive to the basket to put Golden State up by three.

Allen then missed an off-balance 3-pointer at the other end and
Mickael Pietrus hit one free throw to ice it.

"When I dribbled it, the ball slipped out of my hand," Allen
said. "Matt recovered and I tried to pump fake but he didn't bite.
After that, I had nowhere to go."

Davis had 22 points, 11 assists and played all 48 minutes for
the Warriors. Ellis, who missed the previous five games with a
bruised right shoulder, added 20 points, and Andris Biedrins had 15
points and 16 rebounds.

Chris Wilcox scored 22 points for the Sonics, who were playing
the second half of back-to-back games after losing at home to New
York on Friday night.

"We are taking steps in the right direction," point guard Earl
Watson said. "We had a chance to win, but they had some great
plays and easy layups. You have to worry about 11 straight losses
on the road."

The Warriors put their first sustained runs of the game together
in the third quarter, when Allen was limited to 4 minutes of
playing time because of foul trouble. He went to the bench with
four fouls with 9:32 to go and picked up his fifth shortly after
returning midway through the period.

Davis scored on a baseline drive and a dunk off a give-and-go
with Ellis on a fast break to cap a 14-2 run to open the second
half that gave the Warriors a 65-59 lead.

Allen returned and immediately hit a 3-pointer and converted a
three-point play to tie it before he was called for an offensive
foul that sent him to the bench with 4:35 to go in the quarter.

Seattle was held to one basket in a nearly four-minute span
after that before 3-pointers by Mickael Gelabale and Ridnour in the
final minute cut Golden State' lead to 78-75 heading into the

"It helps not to have him in the game," Nelson said. "That's
a long shot from the bench. That's the only time we stopped him
when he was sitting on the bench."

Allen, held to 29 points on 31 percent shooting the previous two
games, got off to a quick start by making his first three shots and
scoring 11 points in the first quarter to give Seattle a 28-25

Allen's third 3-pointer of the half gave him 21 points and made
it 50-43 with three minutes to go. Watson, who had nine assists in
the half, added a 3 in the final seconds to give the Sonics a 57-51
lead at the break.

Game notes
Golden State (18-17) above .500 after Jan. 1 for the first
time since going 50-32 in the 1993-94 season. ... Watson had a
season-high 11 assists. ... Kelenna Azubuike started in place of
Ellis and had five points in 11 minutes. Ellis played the entire
second half.