Clippers not expected to match Miller offer sheet
DENVER -- Andre Miller will soon be a Denver Nugget.
The Los Angeles Clippers have decided they will not match the Nuggets' offer for the free agent guard, Nuggets spokesman Eric Sebastian said Thursday. The Clippers had until midnight ET to do so.
A Clippers spokesman said the team had no immediate comment.
The Nuggets signed Miller to a six-year, $51 million offer sheet earlier this month. The offer for the four-year NBA veteran includes a $10 million signing bonus and performance bonuses that could push its total value to more than $55 million.
The Nuggets tied Cleveland for the worst record in the league at 17-65 and lost leading scorer and rebounder Juwan Howard in free agency. But they have a good, young core group of players.
Brazilian forward Nene Hilario was a member of the NBA's All-Rookie team last season, while forward Rodney White showed glimpses of why the Detroit Pistons used a lottery pick on him two years ago. The Nuggets also have Syracuse star Carmelo Anthony, who they took with the third pick in this year's draft.
Miller was one of the top free agent targets for the Nuggets, who have $18 million in salary cap space for next season.
Denver has struggled at the point guard since Nick Van Exel was traded to Dallas in February 2002, with eight players filling that spot last season.
Miller would give the Nuggets instant stability at the point.
He led the league in assists with Cleveland in 2001-02, averaging 10.9 along with 16.5 points per game. Miller struggled with injuries last season after being traded to the Clippers and his averages dropped to 13.6 points and 6.7 assists.