Death apparently caused by heart attack
NEW YORK -- Karl Malone left the U.S. Olympic team Wednesday after learning of the sudden death of his mother.
Malone left the team hotel before practice and was flying home to Arkansas. It was not immediately known how long he would be away from the U.S. men's basketball team, which is in New York training for a qualifying tournament in Puerto Rico beginning Aug. 20.
A USA Basketball spokesman said Shirley Jackson Malone, who had not been ill, evidently died of a heart attack.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Durant lauds LeBron's move; unsure of own
- Judge rules for S. Sterling in sale of Clippers
- Lakers greats hail 'right guy' Scott as coach
- Sources: Clippers' Griffin has back fracture
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Los Angeles Lakers Ultimate Grey Long Sleeve Shirt