Arizona St 3
11:00 AM ET, June 21, 2010
Clemson uses small ball to knock off Arizona State, advances to winner's bracket
OMAHA, Neb. -- Clemson kept waiting for the Pacific-10's pitcher of the year to throw the ball over the plate. When he did, the Tigers were ready.The Tigers roughed up previously unbeaten Arizona State ace Seth Blair and got strong performances from Casey Harman and Alex Frederick to stop the No. 1 national seed Sun Devils 6-3 Monday in the College World Series.Clemson (44-23) is the only non-No. 1 regional seed to make it to Omaha, and had to stave off elimination three times to get this far. Now the Tigers find themselves in the winners' bracket, needing a victory over Oklahoma on Tuesday to gain control of Bracket 2.
Ubben: Tigers Stun ASU
Clemson hands ASU ace Seth Blair his first loss of the season and sends the top-seeded Sun Devils to the loser's bracket, writes ESPN.com's David Ubben. Blog
• The Tigers have now won their last four CWS openers, continuing their hot bats in the tournament.
• Over its last six games, Clemson has scored 60 runs and pounded out 90 hits (including 10 or more hits in each game).
• Arizona State continues the struggles of No. 1 overall seeds -- no No. 1 seed has won the title since Miami (FL) in 1999.
• Sun Devils starter Seth Blair issued a career-high five walks and tied his season high with five earned runs.
• Because the game was re-scheduled due to rain, it was the first morning game at the CWS since 2000.
|2nd||S Kieboom reached on infield single to shortstop, R Shaffer scored.||1||0|
|2nd||C Epps grounded into fielder's choice to first, S Kieboom out at second, W Boyd to third, W Boyd scored on throwing error by shortstop D Marrero.||2||0|
|3rd||A Barnes hit sacrifice fly to right, R Torrez scored.||2||1|
|5th||J Hinson singled to right, J Schaus scored, K Parker to third.||3||1|
|5th||R Shaffer singled to left, K Parker scored, J Hinson to second.||4||1|
|5th||W Boyd singled to center, J Hinson scored, R Shaffer to second.||5||1|
|6th||J Schaus singled to center, C Epps scored.||6||1|
|6th||R Torrez singled to center, Z MacPhee scored, K Calhoun to second.||6||2|
|7th||D Maggi grounded out to second, J Ruettiger scored, D Marrero to third, R Torrez to second.||6||3|
|· View complete Play-By-Play|
|Weather:||70 degrees, partly cloudy|