Marquette opts not to return to old nickname
MILWAUKEE -- Marquette University will not return to its old Warriors nickname but instead will change to the Gold, instead of Golden Eagles.
Marquette President Robert Wild announced the decision after the Board of Trustees held a meeting Wednesday on the nickname issue.
The board had spent months considering opinions of the thousands of students, alumni, faculty and staff who took part in focus groups and an online survey on the issue.
Some alumni have pushed for years to restore the Warriors nickname that was in place from 1954 through 1993. The name change was made in 1994.
In September, the board decided to continue the discussion about the nickname but passed a resolution barring any nickname using American Indian references, imagery or symbolism.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE SPORTS HEADLINES
- NCAA president: Pay-for-play isn't coming
- Pa. police: Team driver unconscious in crash
- NCAA hits SE Louisiana for eligibility issues
- UND hockey player suspended for jilting cabbie
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Stockdale Marquette Golden Eagles Team Ribbon Magnet