NY Athletic Club Winged Foot Award to go to coaches
NEW YORK -- Coaches Roy Williams and Kim Mulkey-Robertson won their first NCAA basketball titles over a month ago. The celebration hasn't stopped.
The two coaches will be given the New York Athletic Club Winged Foot Award on May 19 at a dinner in their honor.
Williams guided alma mater North Carolina to its fourth national title, beating Illinois 75-70. The former Dean Smith assistant reached four Final Fours while coaching Kansas, but fell short each time.
Mulkey-Robertson led Baylor to a surprising 84-62 blowout of Michigan State in the women's final. The former All-American guard and Olympic gold medalist has helped revive basketball at Baylor, which had a 7-20 record the season before she arrived. She also won three national championships during her 19 years at Louisiana Tech as a player and assistant coach.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE SPORTS HEADLINES
- Obama honors college athletes at White House
- Trio combine for first Bama no-hitter since '42
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- NCAA, conferences sued over scholarships
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Jordan Men's North Carolina Tar Heels Michael Jordan #23 Carolina Blue All-Star Replica Basketball T-Shirt