Air Force gives Mueh one-year deal
AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. -- The Air Force Academy has hired Hans J. Mueh as athletic director, a position he has held on a temporary basis for about a year.
The 61-year-old Mueh was hired last July without a national search after another candidate backed out. Air Force policy dictated that he be given only a one-year contract.
Academy superintendent Lt. Gen. John Rosa interviewed two other finalists for the position before hiring Mueh, the academy's first civilian athletic director. Mueh, a 1966 academy graduate, retired from the military in July.
Mueh taught chemistry at the academy and served on the group that established the Mountain West Conference. As athletic director, he is responsible for 27 Division I programs and the academy's physical education programs.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE SPORTS HEADLINES
- Obama honors college athletes at White House
- Trio combine for first Bama no-hitter since '42
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- NCAA, conferences sued over scholarships
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Air Force Falcons Blue #1 Football Game Jersey