Ohio St.'s NCAA hearing ends; decision weeks away
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State likely will be waiting three to five weeks to find out whether its athletic program will face more sanctions over alleged NCAA violations after a hearing Saturday to determine whether self-imposed punishments were adequate.
Ohio State banned the men's basketball team from postseason play last year and fired coach Jim O'Brien. The school conceded to violations including extra benefits for players, such as a booster giving housing, meals and cash to former basketball player Boban Savovic.
"Over the next number of weeks, the committee will make decisions on which of the allegations are infractions and decide on penalties," NCAA spokesman Kent Barrett said after the two-day hearing in Chicago.
Athletic director Gene Smith "had been instructed by the NCAA not to comment on any aspect of the hearing or the case," Ohio State spokesman Steve Snapp said.
The university has conceded to nine violations, seven in the men's basketball program and one each for the women's basketball and football teams. Ohio State argues that it shouldn't be held liable for some violations because O'Brien made it impossible for athletic administrators to know about them.
The university also said it would have 11 men's basketball scholarships this season instead of the maximum 13.
O'Brien was fired after retired athletic director Andy Geiger said the coach acknowledged giving a recruit $6,700.
O'Brien, who attended the NCAA hearing, is suing the university for $9.5 million saying he was wrongfully fired. O'Brien says the loan of his own money to Aleksandar Radojevic, a 7-foot-3 prospect from Serbia, was not a violation because he knew Radojevic already had forfeited his amateur status by playing professionally.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE SPORTS HEADLINES
- Denver edges UNC in lacrosse quarterfinals
- WCC extends deal with commish Zaninovich
- Martin, first black athlete in SEC, dies at 66
- Rutgers hires Louisville's Hermann as AD