Report: Charges may be delayed in Duke rape case
While DNA tests in the rape investigation involving members of the Duke men's lacrosse team may be completed next week, Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong said Friday that it could be an additional week before he decides what charges to bring, the Durham Herald-Sun reported in its Saturday edition.
Nifong reiterated Friday that the results of the DNA tests will not necessarily determine who gets charged, the newspaper reported. On Thursday, Nifong said he was not sure if he would make the DNA test results public.
The Herald-Sun also reported that some lacrosse players gave accounts of what transpired on the night of the alleged attack to university administrators. Nifong told the newspaper that he would ask the school to disclose those accounts voluntarily. If the university withholds the information, Nifong would seek a court order to obtain the testimonials.
In related news, Durham Police Department officers on Friday night warned residents outside of houses on North Buchanan Boulevard of potential threats of violence targeted at Duke University students, The Duke Chronicle reported on its Web site Friday.
Buchanan Boulevard is the street where players allegedly raped an exotic dancer at a March 13 party.
"Duke and Durham police have substantially increased patrol coverage of the area, including Trinity Park, Ninth Street and East Campus," wrote Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, in an e-mail sent to students.
Durham police desk officer D. Myatt told The Chronicle that the threats could not be traced to a credible source.
"Officers are being proactive with all this mess with the lacrosse team going on," Myatt told the Duke student newspaper. "They're asking people to use commone sense, to not be a target in the nighttime."
Earlier Friday evening, a passenger riding in a car on Buchanan Boulevard extended his arm from the vehicle, making his hand into the shape of gun, and pointed it at residents gathered at a house near the one where the alleged rape took place.
"We had been sitting on the porch hanging out," Duke senior Bryan Cappelli told The Chronicle. "And at least three cars went by flicking us off, saying, 'You'll see.'"
Many of the students living on Buchanan Boulevard have left their residences for the night, Monetta told the Chronicle.
Also Friday, published reports said there were two shootings in Durham near Duke's campus. Neither incident could be connected to the suspicious activity on Buchanan Boulevard, or the ongoing rape investigation. The second shooting, which occurred sometime before 3:40 p.m., was just blocks from the corner of campus on Sedgefield Street.
According to The Chronicle, police stopped and searched cars at the corner of Sedgefield Street and West Markham Avenue, an intersection that is on the corner of Duke's East Campus.
MORE COLLEGE SPORTS HEADLINES
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Big 12 chief rips NCAA, says 'cheating pays'
- Ex-UNH hockey coach charged with assault
- Teen HGH use up sharply, according to survey
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Lacrosse Scandal at Duke
• Disgraced prosecutor Nifong dropped from lawsuit
• Former prosecutor Nifong files for bankruptcy
• Three Duke lax players sue school, prosecutor
• Dept. of Justice won't investigate Nifong
• Ex-Duke lacrosse coach suing school
• Wrongly accused players sue city, ex-DA
• Duke president apologizes to accused lax players
• Ex-Duke DA Nifong serves sentence, leaves jail
• Exonerated Duke players seek $30M settlement
• Nifong reports for one-day jail sentence
• Nifong held in criminal contempt
• Nifong pleads not guilty to contempt charges
• Four lax players returning to Duke for 5th season
• Nifong apologizes for wrongdoing in Duke case
• State Bar formally orders disbarment for Nifong
• Lax player in Duke case transfers to Loyola, Md.
• Nifong a no-show at removal hearing
• Player's attorneys call for contempt on Nifong
• Nifong's predecessor named as interim replacement
• Governor set to replace Nifong as Durham D.A.
• Duke, former lacrosse players reach settlement
• Judge: Nifong must leave office immediately
• Disciplinary panel disbars Nifong
• Prosecutor Nifong says he'll resign
• Lax player's lawyer testifies about evidence
• Testimony: No conspiracy to hide evidence
• Duke prosecutor faces disbarment in trial
• NCAA grants Duke lax players extra season
• Cleared Duke player Seligmann to attend Brown
• Hopkins ends Duke's run, wins ninth lacrosse title
• Cleared Duke player Seligmann to attend Brown
• Police made mistakes in lineup
• Ex-Duke coach; University caved in to pressure
• AG's office releases report
• Cossack: Case crumbled early
• Nifong apologizes to players
• Ex-coach never lost faith
• What they're saying
• All charges dismissed
• Defense attorney in Duke lacrosse case dies
• Former prosecutor fighting charges
• Top N.C. prosecutor tours Duke lacrosse house
• Ex-DA defends self against charges
• Duke urges diversity following rape allegations
• Duke wins season opener
• Team greeted by near-record support
• Players ready to return to field
• Brown recruiting Duke player charged with assault
• Opponent wants D.A. removed from office
• Grand jurors speak out
• Hearing postponed until May
• Duke begins practice for 2007 season
• Nifong faces more ethics charges from state bar
• Nifong gets extension to answer complaint
• NAACP asks for thorough exam of case
• Prosecutor's future uncertain
• Attorney general takes over
• Prosecutor asks off case
• Defense: Accuser said one player just watched
• Judge orders paternity test
• Duke prez defends decision
• Ex-player sues over failing grade
• Lawyer: Players invited back to class
• N.C. State Bar files complaint against prosecutor
• D.A. drops rape charges
• Legal experts: Why the remaining charges?
• Judge OKs paternity tests
• Report: Accuser is pregnant
• Defense attorneys: No Duke players' DNA found on woman
• Justice Department asked to investigate Duke case