UCLA edges Stanford for women's water polo title
LOS ALAMITOS, Calif. -- UCLA won its 100th NCAA title Sunday when Courtney Mathewson scored three goals to lead the women's water polo team to a 5-4 victory over top-seeded Stanford in the championship game.
Goalie Emily Feher tallied nine saves, as Stanford made a fourth quarter run after UCLA led 4-1 after three periods. Two of Lauren Silver's three goals came in the final period, as her two scores to start the quarter cut the UCLA lead to 4-3.
Mathewson then scored with 6:24 left, before Kira Hillman countered with 5:38 left. Stanford had one last chance to tie it, but could not convert with 34 seconds left.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE SPORTS HEADLINES
- NCAA prez Emmert: Food rule was 'absurd'
- NCAA proposes hardship transfers sit 1 year
- Texas AD: Union push 'smells' of attorneys
- Sources: Adidas inks Louisville to $40M deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's UCLA Bruins True Blue Point Guard Basketball Shorts