Nifong admits 'no credible evidence' in Duke lacrosse case
DURHAM, N.C. -- It took three tries for disgraced former prosecutor Mike Nifong to utter the words that three Duke lacrosse players falsely accused of rape were determined to hear him say.
On Thursday, more than 16 months after beginning a disastrous prosecution of the former players, Nifong offered a complete and unqualified apology. After two rebuffed attempts to express remorse for his mishandling of the case, Nifong acknowledged there is "no credible evidence" to support allegations the men attacked an exotic dancer during a team party last year.
"We all need to heal," Nifong said during a court hearing. "It is my hope that we can start this process today."
Nifong's apology came as a judge began the process of considering whether to hold the former Durham County district attorney in criminal contempt of court for his handling of the discredited case.
Superior Court Judge W. Osmond Smith III has already concluded there is probable cause to believe Nifong "willfully and intentionally made false statements of material fact" to the court during a hearing in the case last fall. If he finds Nifong in contempt after an Aug. 30 hearing, the now-disbarred former prosecutor could face up to 30 days in jail.
The case started with a woman's allegations that she was sexually assaulted at a March 2006 lacrosse team party where she was hired as an exotic dancer. Nifong won indictments against three team members, but the charges were later dropped, and state attorney general Roy Cooper went a step farther by declaring the three men innocent victims of Nifong's "tragic rush to accuse."
The next day, Nifong issued a written statement apologizing "to the extent that I made judgments that ultimately proved to be incorrect."
In June, Nifong offered a tearful apology to the families but said "I think something happened in that bathroom" and "something happened to make everyone leave that scene very quickly."
The response enraged the players' attorneys and left the mother of one player in tears.
But on Thursday, Nifong placed no such qualifications on his apology.
"I agree with the attorney general's statement that there is no credible evidence that Mr. Seligmann, Mr. Finnerty or Mr. Evans committed any of the crimes for which they were indicted -- or any other crimes against [the accuser] -- during the party," Nifong said, adding that state prosecutors uncovered evidence he didn't have.
Defense attorney Joseph Cheshire called the previous apologies "far from sincere" and said the families would have to decide whether to accept the latest one. None of the three players was in court.
"I think it is a statement that has much more validity than any of the other so-called apologies he has attempted to make," Cheshire said after the hearing.
Nifong declined to comment afterward, as did his attorneys.
The men's attorneys had asked Smith to hold Nifong in contempt for telling the court he had provided the defense complete results from DNA testing when he had not.
Nifong learned in April 2006 the laboratory found genetic material from multiple males, but none from the lacrosse players, on and about the accuser. He didn't provide that information to the defense until October -- and only then in the form of nearly 2,000 pages of raw DNA test data.
The players' attorneys had also asked the court to order Nifong to pay for the cost of sifting through that data and any other penalty it deemed appropriate. Following Nifong's apology Thursday, they withdrew requests for additional sanctions.
Two of the wrongly accused men, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann, declined invitations to return to Duke; Finnerty plans to attend Loyola of Maryland this fall, and Seligmann plans to attend Brown University. The third, Dave Evans, graduated the day before he was indicted.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE SPORTS HEADLINES
- Judge opts against testimony in Penn St. case
- N. Dame wins 1st NCAA men's soccer title
- NW Missouri St. (14-0) reaches D-II title game
- Mount Union reaches D-III final with late TD
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Lacrosse Scandal at Duke
• Disgraced prosecutor Nifong dropped from lawsuit
• Former prosecutor Nifong files for bankruptcy
• Three Duke lax players sue school, prosecutor
• Dept. of Justice won't investigate Nifong
• Ex-Duke lacrosse coach suing school
• Wrongly accused players sue city, ex-DA
• Duke president apologizes to accused lax players
• Ex-Duke DA Nifong serves sentence, leaves jail
• Exonerated Duke players seek $30M settlement
• Nifong reports for one-day jail sentence
• Nifong held in criminal contempt
• Nifong pleads not guilty to contempt charges
• Four lax players returning to Duke for 5th season
• Nifong apologizes for wrongdoing in Duke case
• State Bar formally orders disbarment for Nifong
• Lax player in Duke case transfers to Loyola, Md.
• Nifong a no-show at removal hearing
• Player's attorneys call for contempt on Nifong
• Nifong's predecessor named as interim replacement
• Governor set to replace Nifong as Durham D.A.
• Duke, former lacrosse players reach settlement
• Judge: Nifong must leave office immediately
• Disciplinary panel disbars Nifong
• Prosecutor Nifong says he'll resign
• Lax player's lawyer testifies about evidence
• Testimony: No conspiracy to hide evidence
• Duke prosecutor faces disbarment in trial
• NCAA grants Duke lax players extra season
• Cleared Duke player Seligmann to attend Brown
• Hopkins ends Duke's run, wins ninth lacrosse title
• Cleared Duke player Seligmann to attend Brown
• Police made mistakes in lineup
• Ex-Duke coach; University caved in to pressure
• AG's office releases report
• Cossack: Case crumbled early
• Nifong apologizes to players
• Ex-coach never lost faith
• What they're saying
• All charges dismissed
• Defense attorney in Duke lacrosse case dies
• Former prosecutor fighting charges
• Top N.C. prosecutor tours Duke lacrosse house
• Ex-DA defends self against charges
• Duke urges diversity following rape allegations
• Duke wins season opener
• Team greeted by near-record support
• Players ready to return to field
• Brown recruiting Duke player charged with assault
• Opponent wants D.A. removed from office
• Grand jurors speak out
• Hearing postponed until May
• Duke begins practice for 2007 season
• Nifong faces more ethics charges from state bar
• Nifong gets extension to answer complaint
• NAACP asks for thorough exam of case
• Prosecutor's future uncertain
• Attorney general takes over
• Prosecutor asks off case
• Defense: Accuser said one player just watched
• Judge orders paternity test
• Duke prez defends decision
• Ex-player sues over failing grade
• Lawyer: Players invited back to class
• N.C. State Bar files complaint against prosecutor
• D.A. drops rape charges
• Legal experts: Why the remaining charges?
• Judge OKs paternity tests
• Report: Accuser is pregnant
• Defense attorneys: No Duke players' DNA found on woman
• Justice Department asked to investigate Duke case