Falsely-accused Duke lacrosse players seek millions, reforms
RALEIGH, N.C. -- More than a year ago, Dave Evans made his way through throngs of reporters to turn himself in at the Durham County jail as one of three Duke University lacrosse players charged with rape.
On Friday, the prosecutor who wrongly accused those men, Mike Nifong, made that same perp walk.
In a come-full-circle moment, the former Durham County district attorney who unrelentingly led the rape investigation reported to jail to serve a 24-hour sentence for lying to a judge. The crime was just part of the misconduct that allowed the case to linger for months despite a lack of evidence, and that ultimately led to Nifong's disbarment.
"I keep reflecting back to where we were a year ago when we were begging him to look at the truth and look at the facts, and he seemed committed to doing exactly what he pleased," said Jim Cooney, who represented exonerated player Reade Seligmann. "He probably feels like he's in a lake of fire right now. But if he does, he needs to come to the realization that he set that fire."
Nifong arrived about 20 minutes before his 9 a.m. deadline to report to jail, surrounded by about 20 supporters and family members. They formed a protective cluster to walk Nifong into the building, with supporters at the front carrying signs that read, "We believe in your integrity and goodness."
The number of onlookers outside the jail was significantly fewer than greeted Evans after his May 2006 indictment at the height of the case's intensity, but Nifong still found about 20 reporters and a handful of hecklers waiting for him.
"Justice works!" a woman shouted.
"I hope your family gets what you gave those families, you scumbag," a man said loudly.
Nifong, dressed in a white polo shirt and khaki pants, refused to talk to reporters. Durham County Sheriff Worth Hill said Nifong would likely have a cell to himself and won't be allowed to interact with other inmates for safety reasons.
Reade Seligmann's father said his family took no personal satisfaction in Nifong's sentence, but found solace that the justice system worked.
"The bottom line is it shows that there were no winners in this entire fiasco," Phil Seligmann said by phone from his New Jersey home. "That's clear."
Seligmann, Evans and Collin Finnerty were accused of raping a woman who had been hired to strip at a team party in 2006. Nifong pursued the case and won indictments, but the charges were eventually thrown out by state prosecutors who declared the players innocent victims of a "tragic rush to accuse." In Nifong's contempt case, the judge found that the former district attorney withheld for months DNA evidence that helped exonerate the players.
The three men are now seeking a $30 million settlement and reforms in the legal process, two people close to the case told The Associated Press on Friday. If the terms aren't met, they will sue early next month, the sources said on condition of anonymity because the proposed settlement wasn't complete.
Both sources stressed to the AP that the money must be accompanied by legal reforms, with one saying the roughly $10 million for each family would be paid out over five years.
Katherine Franke, a Columbia University civil rights law professor, said while the players' reputations were damaged in a national setting, the settlement request is beyond normal standards of about $1 million.
"It strikes me as well off the charts from what one would normally get in a case like that," Franke said. "But it's the political nature of the case: How much is it worth to the city to get rid of this case given the outrage?"
Nifong recused himself from the case in January after being charged with ethics violations. He was disbarred in June for more than two dozen violations of the state's rules of professional conduct, including withholding exculpatory DNA evidence and making numerous inflammatory comments about the lacrosse players to the media, and he resigned as district attorney in July.
Last week, Superior Court Judge W. Osmond Smith III found Nifong in contempt for lying to the court during a hearing in the case last September regarding whether DNA evidence had been provided to defense attorneys.
Smith found that Nifong had provided defense attorneys with a DNA testing report that he knew was incomplete despite insisting that he had provided all results. The omitted data contained test results showing that DNA of multiple men, none of whom were lacrosse players, was found on the accuser. A defense attorney eventually deciphered the omitted information amid nearly 2,000 pages of test data.
Smith could have sentenced Nifong to as many as 30 days in jail and a fine as high as $500.
"I keep reflecting back to where we were a year ago when we were begging him to look at the truth and look at the facts, and he seemed committed to doing exactly what he pleased," said Jim Cooney, who represented Reade Seligmann. "He probably feels like he's in a lake of fire right now. But if he does, he needs to come to the realization that he set that fire."
Among those waiting for Nifong on Friday morning was Tom Clute, a junior defenseman on the Duke lacrosse team once vilified by Nifong's repeated public statements that a woman was raped at a March 2006 team party where she was hired as a stripper. Clute walked alongside the group snapping photos with a digital camera as the disgraced ex-prosecutor entered the jail.
"I felt sorry for his family," Clute said, "but it was good to see the whole thing beginning to come to an end."
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE SPORTS HEADLINES
- NCAA grad rates improve as critics cry foul
- Tigers football fixture 'Mr. Mizzou' dies at 86
- Lawyer: FAMU hazing organized by band leader
- Emmert says UNC fraud findings 'disturbing'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Lacrosse Scandal at Duke
• Disgraced prosecutor Nifong dropped from lawsuit
• Former prosecutor Nifong files for bankruptcy
• Three Duke lax players sue school, prosecutor
• Dept. of Justice won't investigate Nifong
• Ex-Duke lacrosse coach suing school
• Wrongly accused players sue city, ex-DA
• Duke president apologizes to accused lax players
• Ex-Duke DA Nifong serves sentence, leaves jail
• Exonerated Duke players seek $30M settlement
• Nifong reports for one-day jail sentence
• Nifong held in criminal contempt
• Nifong pleads not guilty to contempt charges
• Four lax players returning to Duke for 5th season
• Nifong apologizes for wrongdoing in Duke case
• State Bar formally orders disbarment for Nifong
• Lax player in Duke case transfers to Loyola, Md.
• Nifong a no-show at removal hearing
• Player's attorneys call for contempt on Nifong
• Nifong's predecessor named as interim replacement
• Governor set to replace Nifong as Durham D.A.
• Duke, former lacrosse players reach settlement
• Judge: Nifong must leave office immediately
• Disciplinary panel disbars Nifong
• Prosecutor Nifong says he'll resign
• Lax player's lawyer testifies about evidence
• Testimony: No conspiracy to hide evidence
• Duke prosecutor faces disbarment in trial
• NCAA grants Duke lax players extra season
• Cleared Duke player Seligmann to attend Brown
• Hopkins ends Duke's run, wins ninth lacrosse title
• Cleared Duke player Seligmann to attend Brown
• Police made mistakes in lineup
• Ex-Duke coach; University caved in to pressure
• AG's office releases report
• Cossack: Case crumbled early
• Nifong apologizes to players
• Ex-coach never lost faith
• What they're saying
• All charges dismissed
• Defense attorney in Duke lacrosse case dies
• Former prosecutor fighting charges
• Top N.C. prosecutor tours Duke lacrosse house
• Ex-DA defends self against charges
• Duke urges diversity following rape allegations
• Duke wins season opener
• Team greeted by near-record support
• Players ready to return to field
• Brown recruiting Duke player charged with assault
• Opponent wants D.A. removed from office
• Grand jurors speak out
• Hearing postponed until May
• Duke begins practice for 2007 season
• Nifong faces more ethics charges from state bar
• Nifong gets extension to answer complaint
• NAACP asks for thorough exam of case
• Prosecutor's future uncertain
• Attorney general takes over
• Prosecutor asks off case
• Defense: Accuser said one player just watched
• Judge orders paternity test
• Duke prez defends decision
• Ex-player sues over failing grade
• Lawyer: Players invited back to class
• N.C. State Bar files complaint against prosecutor
• D.A. drops rape charges
• Legal experts: Why the remaining charges?
• Judge OKs paternity tests
• Report: Accuser is pregnant
• Defense attorneys: No Duke players' DNA found on woman
• Justice Department asked to investigate Duke case