ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- University of Michigan police won't seek criminal charges in an on-ice attack on a Michigan hockey player involving two Michigan State players.
Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Diane Brown said Thursday a police review determined the incident didn't merit a criminal investigation.
But Brown says police are continuing to investigate a possible assault in the Spartans' locker room after Saturday's game in Ann Arbor. She says results should be forwarded soon to the Washtenaw County prosecutor for possible charges.
Michigan defenseman Steve Kampfer was hit into the boards by Michigan State's Andrew Conboy late in the Wolverines' 5-3 win. Conboy's teammate Corey Tropp then hit Kampfer in the neck with his stick while Kampfer was prone on the ice.
Michigan State coach Rick Comley suspended both players for the rest of the season.
"What happened near the end of the game this weekend is not the way in which we want our hockey program represented," Comley said in a statement. "We cannot condone their actions. We felt that we had to send a strong message that this behavior will not be tolerated."
On Monday, Comley announced that Conboy had left Michigan State.
Kampfer was helped off the ice and later was on a hospital gurney with a neck brace. His skull was fractured earlier this season in an off-ice assault.
Kampfer said he expected to return for the Wolverines' next game Friday.
According to media reports, Brown said a 48-year-old man was detained and escorted from the arena after confronting a player in the visitors' locker room after the incident.
Monday, the Ann Arbor News reported that Michigan coach Red Berenson identified Kampfer's father, Bruce Kampfer, as the man who had confronted Tropp in the locker room after the incident. He said the elder Kampfer called him over the weekend and apologized for his actions.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.