Used phones sold with coaches' data
COLUMBIA, Mo. -- The University of Missouri athletics department is changing its procedures after selling a box of old cell phones that included old text messages and contact numbers.
Mike Bellman paid $190 for 25 phones. They included text messages to and from basketball coach Mike Anderson, football coach Gary Pinkel and Athletics Director Mike Alden. E-mails and contact numbers were also on the phones.
The university offered to buy them back, but Bellman said he hoped to sell them to a sports collector. Bellman did not immediately return calls and e-mails from The Associated Press on Tuesday.
Athletics department spokesman Chad Moller says all information will now be wiped out of phones before they are discarded.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE SPORTS HEADLINES
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Big 12 chief rips NCAA, says 'cheating pays'
- Ex-UNH hockey coach charged with assault
- Teen HGH use up sharply, according to survey
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Missouri Tigers Anthracite 'Mizzou Made' T-Shirt