Cornell stomps Army in men's quarters


STONY BROOK, N.Y. -- Ryan Hurley had four goals and an
assist and Rob Pannell scored twice and had two assists to help
seventh-seeded Cornell cruise past unseeded Army 14-5 Sunday in the
NCAA lacrosse quarterfinals.

The Big Red (12-5), who fell in overtime to Syracuse in the 2009
championship game, will face unseeded Notre Dame (9-6) in the
semifinals Saturday in Baltimore. Cornell is in the national
semifinals for the third time in four years and 12th overall.

"When we gathered together for our first meeting back in the
fall after losing 16 seniors, there were a lot of questions about
where Cornell was going to be and a lot of discussion about being
the team without so many of those superstars who graduated back in
2009," Big Red coach Jeff Tambroni said.

"But coming into this week's game, I give a lot of credit to
Ryan Hurley, one of our senior captains, and Pierce Derkac, another
of our senior captains, and the way they rallied this team. We came
out and played from start to finish. ... We're happy to be moving
on and hope to take advantage of our opportunity and trip to the
Final Four."

Army (11-6) had hoped the Final Four would be its destination
after having upset second-seeded Syracuse, the two-time defending
champion, in double overtime in the opening round, the Black
Knights' first NCAA tournament victory since 1993.

"It's a very sad time for all of us right now," junior
attackman Jeremy Boltus said. "We had high expectations going into
this game."

Cornell jumped to a 4-0 lead in the first quarter on goals by
David Lau, Steve Mock - who had three in the game - and two by
Hurley. After Jeremy Boltus found the net for the Black Knights
with 2:04 left in the period, Hurley assisted on a Mock goal and
scored another in the first five minutes of the second quarter to
make it 6-1. By halftime, Cornell was ahead 8-3.

"I think the biggest thing was they dominated the time of
possession," Black Knights coach Joe Alberici said, emphasizing
the Big Red's advantage in ground balls, which was 18-13 in the
first half and 38-24 for the game.

Tyler Seymour had a goal and an assist and Tyler Oates also
scored for Army.

"Our team has really grown up pretty quickly as this year has
rolled on," Hurley said. "You come into this game playing a team
like Army that knocks out the No. 2 team in the tournament, and you
don't really see any freshmen out there. They're experienced
players on our team."