Baylor signs elite PF Jones
Perry Jones, the No. 3 player in the ESPNU 100 who has been committed to playing for Baylor since 2007, made it official when he signed a letter of intent with the Bears on Wednesday, the first day of the basketball early signing period.
Jones, who is 6-foot-10, 220 pounds and the second-ranked power forward in the country, features a unique blend of skill and athleticism. He rebounds, runs the floor and blocks shots with the best of them, according to ESPN Scouts Inc. His ability to get to balls out of his area and then bust out leading the break (he accelerates up the floor like a guard) is a weapon that is unique for a player his size. Offensively, he scores inside with a nice jump hook, or can consistently hit the jumper from 15 to 17 feet. He will need to gain strength and experience, but has the tools to be a playmaker for the Bears.
"Jones is the most talented player in the class, with true NBA potential," said ESPN Scouts Inc.'s national recruiting director Paul Biancardi. "He needs to be more productive on a nightly basis. Although he's 6-10, we see him as a future 3."
As a junior last season at Duncanville (Texas) High School, Jones averaged 12 points and 8 rebounds. Jones was named UIL District 7-5A Co-Defensive Player of the Year in 2008-09 and Duncanville was ranked among the top 10 teams in the nation last season. He is the highest-ranked recruit in program history and Drew's fourth consensus top-50 recruit in seven seasons at Baylor.
"Most people know what a great player he is, but what excites me so much about Perry are the intangibles," Drew said. "He is a tremendous leader, an honor roll student and, most of all, a great Christian role model."
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Coach K calls Team USA 'ultimate honor'
- Florida F Yeguete has surgery on right knee
- Elon joining Colonial in latest expansion move
- SF Pinson commits to play for in-state Heels
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
EARLY SIGNING PERIOD 2009
Top 25 | Top classes by conference
- Scouts Inc.: Top 25 class rankings
- Top classes by conference
- Biancardi: What we learned
- Scouts Inc. Best uncommitted players
- LaPlante: Best mid-major classes
- Biancardi: 10 instant impact freshmen
- Biancardi: Grading the ACC's classes
- Rankin: Grading the Big East's classes
- Rankin: Grading the Big 12's classes
- Buzzer beater: Vols net Harris, top-10 class
- UNC lands Bullock, Marshall
- PF Perry Jones signs with Baylor
- No. 2 prospect Sullinger inks with OSU
- Big man Thompson Austin bound
- Barton leads Memphis' class
- Early signing period blog