Sullinger signs with Ohio State
Jared Sullinger, the No. 2 player on the ESPNU 100 recruiting list, signed with Ohio State on Wednesday, becoming the most decorated recruit to sign with the Buckeyes since Greg Oden in 2006.
Sullinger (Columbus, Ohio/Northland) had been verbally committed to the Buckeyes since 2007 but made it official by inking a national letter of intent.
Sullinger is the headliner of an Ohio State class that ESPN.com ranks as the nation's best. The group includes four ESPNU 100 prospects and six players overall. Sullinger is joined by top-100 recruits SF DeShaun Thomas (Fort Wayne, Ind./Bishop Luers), SG Jordan Sibert (Princeton, Ohio) and SG Lenzelle Smith (Zion, Ill.) as well as PG Aaron Craft (Findlay, Ohio/Liberty Benton) and SF J.D. Weatherspoon (Columbus, Ohio/Northland).
The 6-foot-8-inch Sullinger has been one of the top two prospects in ESPN.com's player rankings throughout the evaluation process. According to ESPN Scouts Inc., Sullinger is a highly-skilled power forward who is effective on the low blocks offensively and is also among the top rebounders in the 2010 class. He won't turn 18 until March, but ESPN Scouts Inc says he has the body and carries himself like an adult.
"He's the best low-post player in the class," Scouts Inc.'s Paul Biancardi said. "He's particularly skilled as rebounder because he gives his team a double-double every night. He has great hands and catches everything. He needs to stay in top shape year round."
Ohio State coach Thad Matta knows he has what could be a powerful recruiting class.
"I am thrilled to add these six young men to the Ohio State basketball family," Matta said. "They all bring versatility at each of their positions on the floor. Most importantly, these are high character individuals who bring a culture of winning to our program. All six have won or played for a state championship and four were part of three national championships during the summer."
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Boeheim: Melo needs better supporting cast
- Ex-Rutgers coach Rice receiving counseling
- Florida Intl. guard Smith transfers to Minnesota
- Black transfers to Kansas, can play right away
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
EARLY SIGNING PERIOD 2009
Top 25 | Top classes by conference
- Scouts Inc.: Top 25 class rankings
- Top classes by conference
- Biancardi: What we learned
- Scouts Inc. Best uncommitted players
- LaPlante: Best mid-major classes
- Biancardi: 10 instant impact freshmen
- Biancardi: Grading the ACC's classes
- Rankin: Grading the Big East's classes
- Rankin: Grading the Big 12's classes
- Buzzer beater: Vols net Harris, top-10 class
- UNC lands Bullock, Marshall
- PF Perry Jones signs with Baylor
- No. 2 prospect Sullinger inks with OSU
- Big man Thompson Austin bound
- Barton leads Memphis' class
- Early signing period blog