Top-15 prospect Thompson picks Texas
Tristan Thompson, the No. 11 ranked player in the 2010 class, signed with the University of Texas on Wednesday.
The 6-foot-9 inch forward had been verbally committed to Rick Barnes' program since March 2008. Thompson, a native of Brampton, Ontario, who plays his high school ball at Nevada powerhouse Findlay Prep, is the only recruit in the Longhorns' 2010 class.
Thompson's size and athleticism are two of his most impressive attributes, according to ESPN Scouts Inc. This lefty has very solid footwork in the post and though thin now, he possesses more strength than his body indicates. He has only scratched the surface of his immense talent and his best basketball lies ahead of him, Scouts Inc. says.
Coach Rick Barnes knows that he has landed a tremendous talent.
"Tristan is a big, athletic forward who can really rebound the basketball and run the floor well," Barnes said. "He comes from an excellent Grass Roots Canada AAU program coached by Ro Russell and has had the opportunity to play for his Canadian National Team as well. We know he'll also continue to grow and develop this year while at Findlay Prep, both as a person and on the basketball court."
Thompson's basketball odyssey hasn't been without controversy. He drew attention last season when he transferred to Findlay Prep from St. Benedicts (Newark, N.J.) after he was kicked off the team, for what coach Danny Hurley deemed as "public insubordination." After the transfer, Thompson was a contributor on a Findlay squad that won the National High School Invitational.
EARLY SIGNING PERIOD 2009
Top 25 | Top classes by conference
- Scouts Inc.: Top 25 class rankings
- Top classes by conference
- Biancardi: What we learned
- Scouts Inc. Best uncommitted players
- LaPlante: Best mid-major classes
- Biancardi: 10 instant impact freshmen
- Biancardi: Grading the ACC's classes
- Rankin: Grading the Big East's classes
- Rankin: Grading the Big 12's classes
- Buzzer beater: Vols net Harris, top-10 class
- UNC lands Bullock, Marshall
- PF Perry Jones signs with Baylor
- No. 2 prospect Sullinger inks with OSU
- Big man Thompson Austin bound
- Barton leads Memphis' class
- Early signing period blog