Barnes chooses Tar Heels
Harrison Barnes, the No. 1 prospect in the ESPNU 100, will play college basketball at North Carolina.
Biancardi on Barnes to UNC
Harrison Barnes' skills are obvious. But North Carolina and coach Roy Williams got more than just a great player because for all the jaw-dropping talent displayed on the floor, it's Barnes' work ethic and desire to be the best that makes him special. Scouts Inc.'s Paul Biancardi
Barnes makes an already good North Carolina class even better. He joins Reggie Bullock of Kinston, N.C. (Kinston), No. 13 in the ESPNU 100 and the second-ranked shooting guard, and Kendall Marshall of Arlington, Va. (Bishop O'Connell), No. 19 in the top 100 and fourth-ranked point guard.
According to ESPN Scouts Inc., Barnes is a good athlete with deceptive speed and quickness off the dribble. He's likely to play either the No. 2 or No. 3 spot. His offensive game is polished, with a deadly midrange jumper and step-back fall-away jumper. Overall, on the offensive end, Barnes isn't flashy, but his efficiency and production are high-level. He's also expected to be a defensive boost.
"He's the most complete offensive player in the country," Scouts Inc.'s national recruiting director, Paul Biancardi, said.
Barnes backed that up on the floor last season, when he averaged 19.7 points and 8.8 rebounds while shooting 60 percent from the field as he led Ames to a 26-0 record and the Class 4A state title. He was Iowa's Gatorade Player of the Year.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Game-worn MJ shoes from UNC sell for $33K
- Dayton dismisses pair for violation of rules
- Kentucky still unanimous No. 1 in men's poll
- Iowa's Big Four Classic extended through 2017
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
EARLY SIGNING PERIOD 2009
Top 25 | Top classes by conference
- Scouts Inc.: Top 25 class rankings
- Top classes by conference
- Biancardi: What we learned
- Scouts Inc. Best uncommitted players
- LaPlante: Best mid-major classes
- Biancardi: 10 instant impact freshmen
- Biancardi: Grading the ACC's classes
- Rankin: Grading the Big East's classes
- Rankin: Grading the Big 12's classes
- Buzzer beater: Vols net Harris, top-10 class
- UNC lands Bullock, Marshall
- PF Perry Jones signs with Baylor
- No. 2 prospect Sullinger inks with OSU
- Big man Thompson Austin bound
- Barton leads Memphis' class
- Early signing period blog