Under Armour Game: Wednesday practice report
- Gary Bogdon for ESPN.comNewly added All-American Brandon Washington (Miami/Northwestern) takes part in his first day of blocking drills.ORLANDO -- With only one practice scheduled for today, both squads played with a high intensity level in the atypically cool (mid-40s), windy conditions. Red came out in full pads while Silver chose to go with uppers only, and most wore long sleeves.
Quarterbacks were forced to deal with the chilly, swirling winds, allowing for the arm strength of a few signal callers to stand out. Red's Mike Glennon (Centreville, Va./Westfield) may have been the most impressive, keeping the nose down on his ball and cutting tight spirals through the wind even on deeper routes. Landry Jones (Artesia, N.M.) connected on a number of outs and intermediate routes as well.On the Silver side, 6-foot QB Kyle Parker (Jacksonville, Fla./Bartram Trail) wasn't bothered too much by the conditions despite his shorter stature, utilizing his quick release even when flushed from the pocket. E.J. Manuel (Virginia Beach, Va./Bayside) showed some of his tremendous athleticism reeling in errant shotgun snaps. Nick Crissman (Huntington Beach, Calif./Edison) hit some deep balls, but the winds kept the nose of a few passes high and caused them to sail.[+] EnlargeGary Bogdon for ESPN.comD.J. Grant is one of six ESPN 150 wide receivers on the Silver team.
The deep Silver receiving corps had another strong session. D.J. Grant (Austin, Texas/LBJ) made a tremendous leaping grab on a go route showing why we think he's so special. Athlete T.J. Lawrence (Lakeland, Fla./Kathleen) is looking more and more like a polished wide receiver as he came down with a highlight-reel catch for the second straight day. Additionally, Silver opened up their bag of trick plays Wednesday, calling a Jamie Harper (Jacksonville, Fla./Trinity Christian)-to-E.J. Manuel throwback on more than one occasion.
Silver safety Dee Finley (Auburn, Ala.) displayed his great centerfield range, making a hard break on the ball to help on a fade route up the sideline. Terrance Parks (Fairburn, Ga./Creekside) re-routed A.J. Green (Ridgeville, S.C./Summerville) at the line, played man and then jarred the ball from Green who had leaped over his head for the pass.On the Red side, Joe Adams (Little Rock, Ark./Central Arkansas Christian) was wearing an offensive jersey Wednesday and was frequently lined up in the slot. Adams flashed his elite quickness to gain separation on underneath routes and then make defenders miss after the catch.[+] EnlargeTom Hauck for ESPN.comAthlete prospect Joe Adams moved from defense to offense at Wednesday's practice.
Burton Scott (Prichard, Ala./Vigor) bullied Red slot receivers all session long with his physical bump coverage. Safety E.J. Woods (Culver City, Calif./Crespi) tipped a pass over the middle ending up in the hands of Will Hill (West Orange, N.J./Saint Peter's) for an interception.
Some physical play occurred during Red one-on-one drills with the players wearing full equipment. Top offensive tackle Tyler Love (Birmingham, Ala./Mountain Brock) won most of his matchups and bulldozed Jarvis Humphrey (Cedar Hill, Texas) to the ground at one point. During inside drill work, Humphrey fought a combo block, pulled off his helmet after the whistle and stared back at his counterparts.Braxston Cave (Grander, Ind./Penn) continued to earn his top center ranking Wednesday by staying solid at the point of attack, refusing to give ground to the Silver defensive tackles. Finally, Brandon Washington (Miami/Northwestern), who arrived in Orlando Tuesday evening, did an admirable job for Silver, stepping in immediately at right tackle and dealing with No. 1-rated defensive end DaQuan Bowers (Bamberg, S.C./Ehrhardt).[+] EnlargeGary Bogdon for ESPN.comJamoris Slaughter's Tuesday injury had him on crutches and street clothes at Wednesday's practice.
Injury notes: Red safety Jamoris Slaughter (Stone Mountain, Ga./Tucker), who sustained a leg injury Tuesday morning, was in street clothes today, walking with crutches on the sideline.
Wade Geraci and Bill Conley are recruiting coordinators for Scouts Inc.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Under Armour All-America High School Football Game Coverage
• Zoom Gallery
• Parker leads Silver to 17-14 win
• Game Blog
• Walker opts for Fighting Irish
• Edwards stays in-state with LSU
• Upstart Jarboe heading to Oklahoma
• Pryor earns U.S. Army Bowl MVP
• Zoom Gallery
• Stars shine at Burger King Skills Challenge
• ESPN 150 changes: Bowers pushing for No. 1
• Spencer Adams picks Clemson |
• Practice report
• Lawlor: All-American players roundtable
• Matchups to watch
• Team rosters | Alphabetical rosters
• 80 top players head to Orlando for week of football and fun
• Top pro, high school coaches will instruct players
• Schedule of events
• Burger King All-American Varsity Skills Challenge