Under Armour Game: Wednesday practice report
Quarterbacks were forced to deal with the chilly, swirling winds, allowing for the arm strength of a few signal callers to stand out. Red's Mike Glennon (Centreville, Va./Westfield) may have been the most impressive, keeping the nose down on his ball and cutting tight spirals through the wind even on deeper routes. Landry Jones (Artesia, N.M.) connected on a number of outs and intermediate routes as well.
The deep Silver receiving corps had another strong session. D.J. Grant (Austin, Texas/LBJ) made a tremendous leaping grab on a go route showing why we think he's so special. Athlete T.J. Lawrence (Lakeland, Fla./Kathleen) is looking more and more like a polished wide receiver as he came down with a highlight-reel catch for the second straight day. Additionally, Silver opened up their bag of trick plays Wednesday, calling a Jamie Harper (Jacksonville, Fla./Trinity Christian)-to-E.J. Manuel throwback on more than one occasion.
Silver safety Dee Finley (Auburn, Ala.) displayed his great centerfield range, making a hard break on the ball to help on a fade route up the sideline. Terrance Parks (Fairburn, Ga./Creekside) re-routed A.J. Green (Ridgeville, S.C./Summerville) at the line, played man and then jarred the ball from Green who had leaped over his head for the pass.
Burton Scott (Prichard, Ala./Vigor) bullied Red slot receivers all session long with his physical bump coverage. Safety E.J. Woods (Culver City, Calif./Crespi) tipped a pass over the middle ending up in the hands of Will Hill (West Orange, N.J./Saint Peter's) for an interception.
Some physical play occurred during Red one-on-one drills with the players wearing full equipment. Top offensive tackle Tyler Love (Birmingham, Ala./Mountain Brock) won most of his matchups and bulldozed Jarvis Humphrey (Cedar Hill, Texas) to the ground at one point. During inside drill work, Humphrey fought a combo block, pulled off his helmet after the whistle and stared back at his counterparts.
Injury notes: Red safety Jamoris Slaughter (Stone Mountain, Ga./Tucker), who sustained a leg injury Tuesday morning, was in street clothes today, walking with crutches on the sideline.
Wade Geraci and Bill Conley are recruiting coordinators for Scouts Inc.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Winston, McCarron take home top awards
- McCarron: Saban said he's staying at Bama
- Texas' Brown: My situation hasn't changed
- A&M's Manziel ready to take it to next level
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Under Armour All-America High School Football Game Coverage
• Zoom Gallery
• Parker leads Silver to 17-14 win
• Game Blog
• Walker opts for Fighting Irish
• Edwards stays in-state with LSU
• Upstart Jarboe heading to Oklahoma
• Pryor earns U.S. Army Bowl MVP
• Zoom Gallery
• Stars shine at Burger King Skills Challenge
• ESPN 150 changes: Bowers pushing for No. 1
• Spencer Adams picks Clemson |
• Practice report
• Lawlor: All-American players roundtable
• Matchups to watch
• Team rosters | Alphabetical rosters
• 80 top players head to Orlando for week of football and fun
• Top pro, high school coaches will instruct players
• Schedule of events
• Burger King All-American Varsity Skills Challenge