ESPN 150 WR DeAndre Brown picks Southern Miss
With the recent commitment from underrated running back Desmond Johnson (Yazoo City, Miss.), it's clear that head coach Larry Fedora and the Southern Miss coaching staff has done a good job hitting the recruiting trail since their hiring in December. On Friday, the Golden Eagles finished off the good week by landing what could end up being one of the most talented recruit in Fedora's tenure at Southern Miss. -- ESPN's No. 7-rated wide receiver prospect DeAndre Brown (Ocean Springs, Miss.). Brown announced live on ESPNU that he would be taking his physically impressive receiving skills to Southern Miss after receiving offers from LSU and a host of top SEC schools.
"DeAndre's physical stature stands out at 6-foot-6, 225-pounds and running a 4.5 (40-yard dash); but yes, he did improve as an overall receiver. He used the recruiting process and going to camps last year as motivation to get better," explained Ocean Springs head coach Todd Mangum on Friday.
The hard work greatly paid off for Brown. For a taller receiver, we noticed more sink and fluidity in and out of his breaks right away. He was able to beat corners with skill aside from just relying on his great height and superior physicality. After the catch might be the area where we noticed the biggest change from a production standpoint. His yards after catch (YAC) was not as straight-lined as in his junior year, he showed looser hips and improved movement skills to avoid defenders and actually far more burst in his initial separation. Breaking tackles with his superior size and strength was a big part of his game throughout high school, but we observed improved explosiveness and power through traffic last fall.
Brown has the physical makeup to create major mismatches in the college passing game, and could develop into the type of player Conference USA defensive coordinators have to game plan against at Southern Miss. While impressive, we actually still think he possesses great upside to get even better at the next level, and it sounds like he has the attitude to get there.
Said Mangum: "One of DeAndre's better attributes as a football player heading into college is his determination to just keep getting better and working hard to be the best; the physical ability is there."
Billy Tucker is a recruiting coordinator for Scouts Inc. and has close to a decade of coaching experience at the college and high school level. Tucker has served as a recruiting coordinator for two nationally ranked Division II colleges. Most recently, he was the associate head coach and defensive coordinator for Merrimack College, which advanced to the Sweet 16 in the 2006 NCAA Division II playoffs.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Wash. St. collapses in bowl after 2 fumbles
- Towson shocks E. Washington in FCS semis
- Northwest Missouri St. wins fourth D-II title
- Running back Gordon will return to Badgers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
National signing day 2008
What schools have the best classes? Where are the top undecided recruits heading? ESPN.com and Scouts Inc. have you covered in the final month leading up to national signing day.
• Top 25 class rankings
• Team grades: ACC | Big East | Big Ten | SEC
• Team grades: Big 12 | Pac-10 | Best of the rest
• Lawlor: Pryor's choice is not to choose just yet
• Hudson: Jones stays home to play for Alabama
• Signing day blog
• Signing day chat wrap
• Behind the scenes on signing day
• Tucker: Top uncommitted prospects
• Schlabach: Michigan's future could hinge on Pryor
• Forde: Verbals can be risky business
• Florida climbs to No. 1 in class rankings
• WIR: Pryor announcement could be on hold
• Dinich: Recruiting pipelines
• Lawlor: Proud HS coaches
• Dinich: Long and winding road for assistants
• Conley: What happens on home visits
• WIR: Watching the early entries
• Top 10 undecided prospects
• Conley: The final push
• WIR: Uncommitted prospects hit the road
• DaQuan Bowers tops final ESPN 150
• Pac-10 part one | Part two
• ACC Atlantic | ACC Coastal
• Big Ten part one | Part two
• Big 12 North | Big 12 South
• Big East
• Notre Dame and best of non-BCS
• SEC East | SEC West
• Follow the latest commitments