Wideout Toma, QB Barkley among winners at Burger King Skills Challenge
USC commit Matt Barkley was the top quarterback during the skills challenge at the Under Armour All-America Game, writes Jon Mahoney.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Robbie Toma understandably didn't get a lot of pub playing for Punahou (Honolulu, Hawaii) considering the senior wide receiver was teammates with the nation's No. 1 outside linebacker, Manti Te'o.
But Friday, Toma grabbed some ink of his own with an impressive victory in the Hands Competition at the 2009 Burger King All-American Varsity Skills Challenge at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex.
The 5-foot-10, 170-pound UCLA recruit caught every pass thrown his way and finished the course in 27.348 seconds. Toma edged River Hill (Clarksville, Md.) wide receiver Michael Campanaro, who registered a 27.551. After hauling in the last pass thrown to him, Toma dropped to the ground and did a mock snow angel to honor New England Patriots Pro Bowl wide receiver Wes Welker, who did a snow angel of his own -- albeit in actual snow -- a couple of weeks ago against the Arizona Cardinals.
The tribute was fitting; from the stands some of Toma's fellow Under Armour All-Americans were comparing the diminutive but talented pass-catcher to Welker. Toma laughed when recalling his Welker impression, but he was serious about how proud he was to represent his state with the win.
"I'm just so happy because we've just got to show the people what we do in Hawaii," Toma said. "We can play football too out there."
While Toma is a relative unknown in high school football circles, the same can't be said for Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.) quarterback and USC recruit Matt Barkley -- the No. 10 overall player in the ESPNU 150. Barkley managed to impress even those who already knew about him with a dominating performance in the Pass Attack.
Barkley placed first with 236 points and threw such blistering passes the targets looked like they were close to being knocked over. Garrett Gilbert of Lake Travis (Austin, Texas) and Josh Nunes of Upland (Upland, Calif.) tied for second at 190 points.
Gaither (Tampa, Fla.) speedster and local star Jarvis Giles took home the Obstacle Course title in a lightning-quick 27.832 seconds.
"I just stayed calm," said Giles, who has committed to South Carolina. "I was praying, I was really praying. I really wanted to win this. I just said, 'God, I'm just going to leave it in your hands.' That's the last thing I said and I just went through it. And as you can tell, God was on my side."
Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) defensive end and Oklahoma recruit Justin Chaisson closed out the competition by winning the Lineman Challenge in an impressive 23.587 seconds. His time was five seconds faster than Saguaro's (Scottsdale, Ariz.) Corey Adams, who finished in 28.727.
Jon Mahoney covers high school sports for ESPNRISE.com.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Texas hires search committee for new coach
- Irish charming recruits with 'Pots of Gold'
- Huskies investigate alleged recruiting violations
- Florida, Michigan to kick off '17 in Arlington
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2009 Under Armour All-America Game
UA All-America Game index
Scouting The Practices• Scouts Inc.: Day 3 practice buzz
• Tucker: Day 2 practice buzz
• Tucker: Day 1 practice buzz
Features• Scouts Inc.: Stock report from UA week
• Lawlor: Stars shine in UA All-America Game
• Mahoney: Florida natives represent in Orlando
• Lawlor: UA All-Americans ready for the show
• Lawlor: Survey says ...
• Mahoney: Lynch ready to have Boston TE party
• Mahoney: Toma a surprise skills challenge victor
• Mahoney: Te'o making an impression in Orlando
• Murphy: Future Horns have one common goal
• Luginbill: Breaking down Shepard vs. Pryor
• Miller: Top prospect Shepard stays grounded
• Mahoney: QB Alipate looking to open eyes
• Murphy: Coaching legends return to their roots
• Scouts Inc.: Matchups to watch in UA practices
• Scouts Inc.: Matchups to watch in UA game
• Luginbill: How the teams were selected
• Tale of the tape: Position-by-position comparison
• Breaking down the White team's roster
• Breaking down the Black team's roster
Zoom Galleries• Under Armour All-America Game
• Burger King All-America Skills Challenge
• Day 3 practice
• Day 2 practice
• Day 1 practice
• Welcome to the Under Armour Game
Video• High Five: Best nicknames
• Lynch out to break stereotypes
• All-American roundtable
• Barkley ready for challenge of college
• Texas recruits get to know each other
• Texas commit Walters' resolutions for '09
• Conley explains area of scouting
• Texas commit Ashcraft shows off the bling
• Sam and Stan's sights and sounds at UA Game
• Recruits talk recruiting