White says 'Hook 'em'
Five-star receiver stays home and picks Texas over Oklahoma and Oklahoma State
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- In a Red River Shootout of sorts with Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State all battling for five-star receiver Darius White (Fort Worth, Texas/Dunbar), White announced he would play for the Longhorns during the fourth quarter of the Under Armour All-America Game.
"I'm going to UT," White said. "[The Longhorns' associate athletics director for football operations] coach Cleve Bryant was big for me. When I talked to him he showed me a good time and seemed like a person that would really take care of me. He seemed like a father figure-type. I felt the same way about Oklahoma State, but I decided to choose UT."
White, 6-foot-3, 195 pounds, has always maintained that his mother and grandmother were going to be a big part of his decision-making process. Having their support took a lot of pressure off.
"I decided on Texas maybe a week or two ago. I just sat down and talked to my mom about everything and decided that UT is where I wanted to go," White said. "My mom and grandmother told me wherever I go they will be there to support me with my jersey on. They said if I went to Alaska, they would be there with me in the cold supporting me. That means a lot to me."
For months, the Sooners were thought to hold the lead for the No. 9 prospect in the ESPNU 150. As decision time drew nearer, living in Texas after school and football was a prevailing thought.
"I thought about a lot of other stuff. At first, I wanted to go to Texas because I've liked them since I was real little," White said. "Then I started thinking if I moved off and went to Oklahoma or LSU or somewhere like that, [it would be good for a while] but my life after school and football was important. I want to live in Texas, and I know Texas will look after me when I'm done with school."
Texas will lose versatile senior receiver Jordan Shipley but will return a number of experienced receivers on the outside. Despite the returning experience, White, a two-sport star, intends to get on the field early.
"Coach [Mack] Brown said I can play early if I go in and do my work, learn the plays. I know I can do that because [Dunbar] coach [Todd] Lawson has worked us hard, so I know I can put in the work. Then it's just seeing how it's going to go," he said.
The Longhorns have been riding a wave of momentum on the recruiting trail. This week in practice, White got an up-close look at the strength of the Longhorns' recruiting class.
"I was looking at the practice field and said that if I did choose UT that we're going to have a real good recruiting class on the offensive and defensive side," White said. "It's going to be really good."
White becomes the 22nd commitment in the Longhorns class, including the 13th from the ESPNU 150. He is the first five-star commitment for Texas.
Gerry Hamilton has covered recruiting in Texas and the Southwest for more than a decade. He can be reached at email@example.com.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- CFP officials won't budge on semis, title dates
- Arkansas' Long re-elected as CFP chairman
- UNC, Wake Forest agree to non-ACC series
- Winston's accuser goes public in documentary
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2010 Under Armour All-America Game
Be sure to check out ESPN.com's complete coverage of the premier prep event.
2010 UA All-America Game
• Easley, Taylor among top performers
• Big plays, stingy D carries Black team to win
• Hamilton: Montana reminds Wyche of Joe
• UA Game notes: Gators have big day
• Watch: UA All-America Game highlights
• UA Game photo gallery
• Watch: Behind the scenes at UA AGame
• Under Armour All-America Game blog
• White says hook 'em, commits to Texas
• Hurd stays close to home, picks Texas A&M
• Dunkley commits to Florida
• Shaw heading to Florida State
• Easley surprises by picking Florida
• Fulton follows heart to Alabama
Practice blogs and scouts' buzz
• Scouts Inc.: Day 2 practice buzz
• Day 2 notebook
• Day 2 practice blog
• Day 1 notes: Leach's firing may prove costly
• Tucker: Day 1 scouts buzz
• Day 1 practice blog
• Shurburtt: Fulton finally plays in front of dad
• Hamilton: Hicks' tough decision
• Shurburtt: WR Rogers making his mark
• All fun and games at Skills Challenge
• Hamilton: White has point to prove
• Shurburtt: Recruits becoming frequent fliers
• Wyche brings 12 years of coaching experience
• Marchibroda coaching for first time in 11 years
• Memories from past UA All-America Games
• Shurburtt: Shaw sticking with Gators
• Haugert: Looking at the defensive strategy
• Luginbill: Looking at the offensive strategy
• Complete rosters for Black and White teams
• Position breakdown for White Team
• Position breakdown for Black Team
• Coaches breakdown: Marchibroda vs. Wyche
• Luginbill: First impressions of rosters
• Luginbill: Best practice matchups to watch
• Tale of the tape: too close to call