Easley keeps turning heads
Four-star DE surprises with decision to attend Florida over Oregon and Miami
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- One of the most dominating players this week has been four-star DE Dominique Easley (Staten Island, N.Y./Curtis), to the point that his teammates are talking nonstop about him when off the field. He continued to turn heads when he announced this college choice Saturday during the Under Armour All-America Game.
"I'm going to Florida," Easley said. "I've been wanting to go to Florida ever since the beginning of my recruitment. That just the place for me to go and I've been wanting to be a Gator for a long time. I was supposed to go there at the beginning of the process, but then some things happened. I talked it over with my family and they support my decision. I like everything about Florida. The university, the player and the coaches."
Easley, who de-committed from Penn State on Thursday night, said the news in the past week regarding the unknown future of head coach Urban Meyer didn't have an impact on his decision.
"It didn't have an effect on me," he said. "I know coach [Urban] Meyer is coming back, and coach [Steve] Addazio and Coach Meyer are tight, so I know things will be the same."
Time spent this week with a number of Florida commitments pushed the Gators over the top.
"Yeah, it helped that the Florida guys were working on me this week. I have never played with a group of guys like this," Easley said. "I've got close to Leon Orr and Demar Dorsey this week. Those are the main guys I've spent time talking with."
Easley becomes the 20th commitment for the Gators as they continue to hold the top spot in the ESPN.com class rankings. He is the 11th member of the ESPNU 150 to pick Florida.
"I'm excited to be a part of a great class. It's been great seeing all of the players going to Florida this week," Easley said.
The No. 41 prospect in the ESPNU 150 was the most dominant defensive lineman in practice, having won seemingly every one-on-one matchup. His get-off is explosively quick, and if redirected, he has shown an ultra-quick spin move remaining balanced and finishing with an explosive closing burst to the ball.
Gerry Hamilton has covered recruiting in Texas and the Southwest for more than a decade. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- No. 5 TCU dominates turnover-prone Texas
- LSU drops A&M on Fournette's 146, late INT
- Police, family search for Buckeyes lineman
- CFP: First four unchanged, but Ole Miss falls
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2010 Under Armour All-America Game
Be sure to check out ESPN.com's complete coverage of the premier prep event.
2010 UA All-America Game
• Easley, Taylor among top performers
• Big plays, stingy D carries Black team to win
• Hamilton: Montana reminds Wyche of Joe
• UA Game notes: Gators have big day
• Watch: UA All-America Game highlights
• UA Game photo gallery
• Watch: Behind the scenes at UA AGame
• Under Armour All-America Game blog
• White says hook 'em, commits to Texas
• Hurd stays close to home, picks Texas A&M
• Dunkley commits to Florida
• Shaw heading to Florida State
• Easley surprises by picking Florida
• Fulton follows heart to Alabama
Practice blogs and scouts' buzz
• Scouts Inc.: Day 2 practice buzz
• Day 2 notebook
• Day 2 practice blog
• Day 1 notes: Leach's firing may prove costly
• Tucker: Day 1 scouts buzz
• Day 1 practice blog
• Shurburtt: Fulton finally plays in front of dad
• Hamilton: Hicks' tough decision
• Shurburtt: WR Rogers making his mark
• All fun and games at Skills Challenge
• Hamilton: White has point to prove
• Shurburtt: Recruits becoming frequent fliers
• Wyche brings 12 years of coaching experience
• Marchibroda coaching for first time in 11 years
• Memories from past UA All-America Games
• Shurburtt: Shaw sticking with Gators
• Haugert: Looking at the defensive strategy
• Luginbill: Looking at the offensive strategy
• Complete rosters for Black and White teams
• Position breakdown for White Team
• Position breakdown for Black Team
• Coaches breakdown: Marchibroda vs. Wyche
• Luginbill: First impressions of rosters
• Luginbill: Best practice matchups to watch
• Tale of the tape: too close to call