DeBell hitting the road for visits
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- There is little doubt that offensive tackle Zach DeBell's (Tarpon Springs, Fla./Tarpon Springs) life is getting more and more hectic.
"I am going to be busy this week," DeBell said. "I am going to go home (following the camp and before hitting the road) and get some rest."
That's what happens when scholarship offers continue to roll in. DeBell, who has impressed at two Under Armour Combines (National and Bradenton), has scholarship offers from Central, Clemson, Florida International, Iowa State, Minnesota, South Florida and South Carolina.
West is the best
Just because running back/athlete Harvey Langi (South Jordan, Utah/Bingham) traveled the 2,560 miles from suburban Salt Lake City to Coral Gables for a Nike Football Training Camp, don't expect him to end up on the East Coast from college.
Langi holds offers from BYU, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Stanford, UCLA.
"I am going to go out and travel and see what I can do," Langi. "I always go to camp out west and see schools out there, but I wanted to come (to Miami) to see what the competition here was all about."
• Talk at the camp was that receiver Tacoi Sumler (Miami, Fla./Christopher Columbus) still appears to be favoring Clemson over a host of other programs. Sumler was recently named to the roster for the 2011 Under Armour All-American Game.
• Not many schools know about the ability of camp defensive back MVP Marcus Roberson (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Saint Thomas Aquinas). Texas A&M, however, has jumped in with an early offer and Roberson said a number of other programs should be in the mix soon.
• Safety/linebacker Jordan Montgomery (Groveland, Fla./South Lake) was impressive at the camp and says that Oregon may be close to offering. "They said that they are going to during the spring (evaluation period)," Montgomery said. Arkansas, Ole Miss, Maryland, Central Florida and Iowa State also have offered and several more colleges are showing interest. He said the Razorbacks and Rebels are telling him he can play safety for them and the rest of the programs recruiting him want him as a linebacker. He says the depth chart is going to be the biggest factor in his decision. "I want to play early," Montgomery said.
• Offensive lineman Bobby Hart (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Saint Thomas Aquinas) says his next unofficial visit will be to Georgia or Alabama. Hart's most recently visit was to Florida State. He had an excellent camp on Sunday and was one of the top offensive linemen during the one-on-one drills.
• The stock of tight end Jeff Heuerman (Naples, Fla./Barron Collier) continues to rise. West Virginia, South Carolina and Kansas offered this past week, bringing him up to 13 total offers. The 6-5, 235-pounder is expecting Michigan to offer this week and says that Florida's coaches have told him that it's very possible he has an offer from the Gators by the end of the spring evaluation period.
• Defensive lineman Giovanni Francois (Bradenton, Fla./Southeast) holds scholarship offers from Louisville and Florida International. He plans to visit Florida State and Florida Atlantic unofficially in the near future.
• Defensive end Johnathan Harris (Boynton Beach, Fla./Boynton Beach) attended a junior day at Central Florida recently and says that he feels the Golden Knights may be close to offering. He claims offers from Miami and South Carolina right now.
• Defensive end Curt Maggitt (Palm Beach, Fla./Dwyer) was at the event sporting a pair of Iowa State sweatpants (his brother Roosevelt plays for the Cyclones). He did not participate because he is still resting an injured shoulder, but Maggitt says it is shoulder is getting stronger. He plans to make an unofficial visit to Miami in the near future and has more than a dozen offers, including Florida and Alabama.
• Linebacker Conard Johnson (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Dillard) says that Wisconsin is the closest school to offering him. "(Badgers assistant Charlie Partridge) told me that they are going to be ready to pull the trigger in the spring," Johnson said. "He wants to come down and see me then and wants me to pull up my GPA." Johnson added that Vanderbilt was also showing strong interest.
• Defensive back Steven Montgomery (Miramar, Fla./Miramar) holds offers from Maryland, Western Kentucky and Central Florida.
JC Shurburtt covers recruiting for ESPN.com. He can be reached at email@example.com.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Bama opens spring practice in search of QB
- NC State's Byrd gets 6th year of eligibility
- Ex-Fiesta Bowl chief gets 8 months in scheme
- A&M, UCLA agree to home-and-home series