Erique Florence tops available safeties
With national signing day (Feb. 2) around the corner, here is a look at the top uncommitted safeties.
Erique Florence (Valley, Ala./Valley)Player rank: 52 | Position rank: 4 | Grade: 81 | Stars: 4
Height: 6-foot-2 | Weight: 185 pounds | Evaluation
Why they want him: Florence has prototypical strong safety measurables as well as demeanor. He is a hitter and one of the more tough and physical safeties in 2011. He's tall, high-cut with great length and a well-built frame that still has the room to add considerable bulk. He also flashes great range and closing burst tracking down ball carriers and is very stout at the point of attack.
Recruiting update: Auburn looks like the front-runner for Florence, but Alabama and USC are also in the mix. Florence visited USC last week and will trip to Alabama this coming weekend. Florence visited Auburn last month.
Larry Franklin (Vero Beach, Fla./Vero Beach)Player rank: NR | Position rank: 35 | Grade: 78 | Stars: 3
Height: 6-0 | Weight: 183 pounds | Evaluation
Why they want him: Franklin is a physical, instinctive, well-rounded safety and a productive ball hawk in the secondary with good physical tools and instincts to match. He has more than adequate height, length and overall size. However, he does need to fill out and build more power through his hips and lower body.
Recruiting update: Franklin has already visited Michigan State and Northern Illinois. He visits Western Michigan this weekend and Vanderbilt on Jan. 28. Miami is also showing interest.
Jamie Newberg has been covering recruiting both in the Southeast and nationally for 19 years. He can be reached at email@example.com.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- S. Carolina RB Davis draft-bound after bowl
- Howard RB killed in robbery called 'good kid'
- Chippewas' rally, lateral heroics not enough
- Harbaugh's brother: Family staying out of it
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
COUNTDOWN TO NATIONAL SIGNING DAY
National signing day is closing in fast and ESPN Recruiting will have you prepared by the time players start signing their national letters of intent and faxing them in on Wednesday, Feb. 2.
ESPNU 150 | Class rankings | Scorecard
• Updated ESPNU 150
• Scouts on why players moved up
• Checking in on uncommitted 150 players
• Clowney is No. 1 wire-to-wire
• Haubert: Chat wrap
• Updated class rankings
2007 ESPNU 150: Where are they now?• No. 1-25: ND's QB to WR combo pans out
• No. 26-50: Dez Bryant dominates right away
• No. 51-75: Cam Newton from Gator to Tiger
• No. 76-100: OL Vlachos, Bulaga come up big
• No. 101-125: Morgan, Sturdivant shine in ACC
• No. 126-150: Forcier, Bostick never pan out
• Reranking 2007's top 10 classes
• Hits and misses from 2007 class
• All Class of 2007 team photo gallery
Conference breakdowns• ACC: Seminoles leading the way
• Big Ten: Buckeyes at the top again
• Big 12: OU, UT in their own class
• Pac-12: Trojans still getting it done
• SEC: Alabama on top of loaded conference
• Big East: Louisville coming on strong
• Best of the rest: ND, TCU dreaming big
Who's still out there?• Best available QBs | All uncommitted QBs
• Best available RBs | All uncommitted RBs
• Best available FBs | All uncommitted FBs
• Best available WRs | All uncommitted WRs
• Best available TEs | All uncommitted TEs
• Best available OTs | All uncommitted OTs
• Best available OGs | All uncommitted OGs
• Best available Cs | All uncommitted Cs
• Best available DTs | All uncommitted DTs
• Best available DEs | All uncommitted DEs
• Best available ILBs | All uncommitted ILBs
• Best available OLBs | All uncommitted OLBs
• Best available CBs | All uncommitted CBs
• Best available S | All uncommitted S
• Best available ATHs | | All uncommitted ATHs
• Signing day preview:
Everything you need to know for the big day