ESPNU All-American Game in Orlando in January
Joe Montana, Emmitt Smith and John Elway all jubilantly said they were going to Disney World after winning the Super Bowl. This January, the nation's best high school football players will head there too for the first ESPNU High School All-American Game.
"It is both exciting and overwhelming," said Jones, who last year caught 75 passes for 1,306 yards and 16 touchdowns.
"It's fun -- it lets people around the country get a feel for who I am as a player," said Hill, who last year led his team to the N.J. state championship. "I won't pay too much attention to the cameras though."
That won't be an easy task. Besides the game itself on ABC, ESPNU will televise the week's practices and ESPN2 will air a special skills competition on Jan. 4. Players will hone their skills against the nation's best, and fans will get a glimpse of the college and NFL stars of tomorrow.
"It's very important to find out just what your talent level is when facing the best players available," said Hill. "It lets me know what I need to do to get better."
ESPN Scouts Inc. will select the 75-80 players who will participate in the game.
"Both Jones and Hill are as good as we've seen," raved ESPN.com and Scouts Inc. national recruiting director Tom Luginbill.
"Julio Jones is a freak at wide receiver. Over the last three classes, there hasn't been an offensive player as physically dominant as he is at wide receiver. And Will Hill is fun to watch -- simply a big play waiting to happen."
"We look forward to growing this all-star game into one of the country's premier sporting events for amateur athletics, while also giving even more prep athletes an opportunity to showcase their talent on a national stage," said Burke Magnus, vice president and general manager, ESPNU.
While they gain unprecedented national exposure, the players also stay at the Disney Wide World of Sports Complex, take a trip to Disney World, enjoy a New Year's Eve celebration in Orlando, view the BCS Championship Game together and participate in an awards banquet.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Buccaneers release Revis before deadline
- Stars' Peverley out for season after collapse
- Source: Ware, Broncos agree to $30M deal
- Lions pick up WR Tate on five-year contract
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Under Armour All-America High School Football Game Coverage
• Zoom Gallery
• Parker leads Silver to 17-14 win
• Game Blog
• Walker opts for Fighting Irish
• Edwards stays in-state with LSU
• Upstart Jarboe heading to Oklahoma
• Pryor earns U.S. Army Bowl MVP
• Zoom Gallery
• Stars shine at Burger King Skills Challenge
• ESPN 150 changes: Bowers pushing for No. 1
• Spencer Adams picks Clemson |
• Practice report
• Lawlor: All-American players roundtable
• Matchups to watch
• Team rosters | Alphabetical rosters
• 80 top players head to Orlando for week of football and fun
• Top pro, high school coaches will instruct players
• Schedule of events
• Burger King All-American Varsity Skills Challenge