Houston's basketball profile on the rise
Once a football-only town, Houston has grown into one of America's top basketball cities, writes Christopher Lawlor.
HOUSTON -- John Lucas was born, raised and played basketball in the heart of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
The Durham, N.C. native was an All-American guard at the University of Maryland before getting selected by the Houston Rockets in the first round of the 1976 draft.
When he arrived in Texas, he found a faceless basketball community.
"It was a football town," said Lucas, who had three stints with the Rockets, including the 1985-86 season when they lost ...
Read full story
Features• Murphy/Lawlor: City High interactive map
• Scoop Jackson: New York's missing the point
• Miller: Seattle's staying super
• Lawlor: Houston a launching pad for hoops talent
• Zoom Gallery: City High flashes forward
SportsNation• City High Tournament
• Who are the biggest stars of City High?
• Rank the New York point guards
• Join the conversation