Cop critically injured by drunken driver
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A drunken driver slammed into a police officer who was clearing Florida Gators fans from the streets early Tuesday, critically injuring him, then ran two motorcycle officers off the road before he was stopped, authorities said.
The Florida Highway Patrol said Austin John Wright, 21, of Atlantic Beach, had a blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit.
The Gainesville Police officer, Lt. Corey Dahlem, was hospitalized in critical condition, police spokesman Keith Kameg said. None of the other officers was injured.
Police had been clearing the streets early Tuesday of the nearly 25,000 fans celebrating the University of Florida's 84-75 win over Ohio State for the Gators' second straight NCAA basketball title.
Four other people were arrested during the partying, including three fans for disorderly conduct, and one person for slapping an officer.
"For how large the crowd was, four arrests is insignificant," Kameg said, but he said of the injuries to Dahlem, "This destroys everything. It's absolutely senseless."
Wright gave two breath tests that registered his blood alcohol level at 0.227 percent and 0.214 percent, Highway Patrol spokesman Mike Burroughs said. He was booked on charges of careless driving, driving under the influence with serious bodily injury and attempting to elude police.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
- Creighton's Chatman set for thumb surgery
- Big 12 chief rips NCAA, says 'cheating pays'
- Wake Forest adds Greece's Mitoglou to roster
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2007 FINAL FOUR
CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, APRIL 2:
• Donovan on Kentucky: Nothing to talk about
• Woj: Gators' lasting legacy
• Forde: Brewer delivers
• Schlabach: The senior piece
• Katz: Donovan's level raised
• Around The Rim
• Florida 84, OSU 75 | Analysis
SEMIFINALS, MARCH 31:
• Forde: Real Fab Five
• Woj: Burning questions
• Katz: Disappointed Afflalo
• Schlabach: Green turns invisible
• Katz: Conley drives Ohio State
• Around the Rim
• Florida 76, UCLA 66 | Analysis
• OSU 67, G'town 60 | Analysis