Forward injures thumb in practice
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina forward David Noel tore ligaments in his right thumb and is expected to be out six to eight weeks.
Noel, a 6-foot-6 sophomore, injured the thumb in practice Tuesday, coach Roy Williams said.
"I am so disappointed for David and our team," Williams said Wednesday. "David worked hard in the offseason to develop his all-around game and that work had shown well in his play in the first weeks of practice."
Noel played in all 35 games last season, averaging 5.9 points and 3.5 rebounds. Noel was the only regular to shoot better than 50 percent from the field.
Noel had career-bests of 21 points and 12 rebounds against DePaul in the first round of the NIT.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- No. 7 Duke regroups to escape vs. Clemson
- Iowa State ousts Kansas in Big 12 semifinals
- Syracuse falls to NC State in ACC quarters
- Napier, UConn fend off Cincy to reach final
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Jordan Men's North Carolina Tar Heels Carolina Blue 'Own the Court' Basketball T-Shirt