Ariza to miss at least four games
Ariza was pulled from practice on Thursday after he complained of pain in his upper left back while breathing, according to a statement.
Ariza, who has asthma, was diagnosed Friday with spontaneous pneumothorax, which occurs when air or gas collects in the pleural cavity of the chest and causes the lung to collapse. The cause can involve the rupture of a small air- or fluid-filled sac in the lungs. The treatment involves allowing the lung to re-expand.
Ariza will miss at least four games, including Saturday's season opener against Vermont.
"We all feel for Trevor and his family," UCLA coach Ben Howland said. "We're thankful it was caught early and he'll return to practice in a couple of weeks. ... We're going to err on the side of caution and make sure Trevor's completely well before he returns to practice."
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Selection committee to monitor Embiid injury
- Mount St. Mary's (16-16) clinches NCAA bid
- Zags hold off BYU comeback, win WCC title
- Milwaukee wins Horizon title to reach tourney
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's UCLA Bruins True Blue On-Court Practice T-Shirt