Araujo still eligible for MWC tourney
PROVO, Utah -- Brigham Young center Rafael Araujo was reprimanded Tuesday by the Mountain West Conference for hitting an opponent in the Cougars' 89-88 victory at UNLV last week.
Araujo received a technical foul for hitting UNLV guard Jerel Blassingame in the second half of the game Saturday. He denied throwing a punch at Blassingame, who was knocked to his back and sat out for several minutes.
Araujo ended up hitting the game-winning basket in the final second.
The MWC reviewed the game tape and on Tuesday reprimanded Araujo for violating the league's sportsmanship policy. Araujo will still be eligible to play for the Cougars when the open the MWC tournament Thursday against Wyoming.
Araujo, a senior from Sao Paulo, Brazil, was named Monday co-player of the year in the MWC, sharing the honor with Air Force's Nick Welch.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Coach K says ACC bubble teams are better
- Iowa St. rallies to beat Baylor for Big 12 title
- No. 1 Florida wears down Tenn., in SEC final
- Louisville takes first AAC final, tops UConn
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's BYU Cougars Blue Basketball Practice Performance T-Shirt