Bibby led Wildcats to lone national title
TUCSON, Ariz. -- The University of Arizona will retire the jersey of Mike Bibby, the point guard who as a freshman led the Wildcats to their only national championship.
He is the third Arizona player to receiver the honor, joining Sean Elliott and Steve Kerr.
The ceremony will take place before Arizona's exhibition game against Sonoma State on Nov. 11.
Bibby, entering his fourth season with the Sacramento Kings, was NCAA Division I freshman of the year in 1996-97.
He left college after his sophomore season and the Vancouver Grizzlies made him the No. 2 overall pick in the NBA draft, the highest selection ever of an Arizona player.
Bibby, who grew up in Phoenix, is the son of USC coach and former UCLA star Henry Bibby.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- No. 26 prospect Smith gives verbal to Arizona
- Butler's Etherington (foot) to miss 3-4 months
- NCAA president calls for 'scholarships for life'
- Rick Pitino: 'Passion, enthusiasm' still high
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- JanSport Men's Arizona Wildcats Navy Tournament Basketball T-Shirt