Hayes will wear mask
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Kentucky forward Chuck Hayes will start for the Wildcats (No. 6 ESPN/USA Today; No. 7 AP) on Saturday at Arkansas, four days after breaking his nose in a victory over Tennessee.
Hayes, who has started 93 straight basketball games for Kentucky, has worn a protective mask during practices since Thursday and will have it on when the Wildcats (15-2, 6-0 Southeastern Conference) take on the Razorbacks (14-5, 2-4).
Kentucky coach Tubby Smith said Hayes was "a little sore and a little uncomfortable" during practice on Thursday. Smith said he didn't know how long Hayes would wear the mask, but that it shouldn't adversely affect his performance.
Hayes, who is averaging 11.1 points and 9.1 rebounds, broke his nose when Tennessee's Andre Patterson inadvertently elbowed him with 6:30 left in the first half on Tuesday night.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
- Creighton's Chatman set for thumb surgery
- Big 12 chief rips NCAA, says 'cheating pays'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Kentucky Wildcats White #15 Elite Replica Basketball Jersey