Alford rejects appeal of troubled guard
Alford met with Pierce for about 15 minutes Tuesday. Pierce, the team's leading scorer, was dismissed from the team two weeks ago after police confirmed he was the focus of an investigation.
His next step is to appeal Alford's decision in writing to Iowa athletic director Bob Bowlsby. Bowlsby has said Pierce will remain on scholarship for the rest of this school year.
Pierce was charged last week with burglary, domestic assault, assault with intent to commit sexual abuse, false imprisonment and criminal mischief. The most serious charge, first-degree burglary, carries a maximum penalty of up to 25 years in prison upon conviction.
Matt Boles, a lawyer for Pierce, said it is important for Pierce to exhaust all avenues of the appeals process. He acknowledged it's unlikely Pierce will be able to get back on the team with three weeks remaining in the season.
Alfredo Parrish, Pierce's lawyer in the criminal case, filed a motion Friday to dismiss the burglary charge.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Butler's Etherington (foot) to miss 3-4 months
- NCAA president calls for 'scholarships for life'
- Rick Pitino: 'Passion, enthusiasm' still high
- College of Charleston's Wojcik not recruiting