Miller replaces longtime Panthers coach Samuels
CHARLESTON, Ill. -- Mike Miller, an assistant coach at Kansas State, was chosen Monday as men's basketball coach at Eastern Illinois, replacing Rick Samuels, who was with the Panthers for 25 years.
Miller was at Kansas State for four years after five years at Southwest Texas, now known as Texas State. He coached Southwest Texas to the NCAA Tournament in 1997 and was selected Southland Conference coach of the year.
Eastern Illinois didn't renew Samuels' contract in March after four straight losing seasons. He had 360 victories with the Panthers, making him the school's winningest coach. Eastern Illinois was 12-16 last season and finished eighth in the 11-team Ohio Valley Conference with a 7-9 record.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
- Creighton's Chatman set for thumb surgery
- Big 12 chief rips NCAA, says 'cheating pays'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Kansas State Wildcats Purple Long Sleeve Shootaround Shirt