McGuire was fourth-leading scorer last season
BERKELEY, Calif. -- Dominic McGuire, a forward who started 23 games for California last season, has been given permission to transfer from the school.
McGuire, a 6-foot-8 sophomore from San Diego, was the fourth-leading scorer last season for the Bears (13-16), averaging 7.2 points and 4.9 rebounds per game. He was Cal's top reserve as a freshman, averaging 4.3 points.
McGuire gave no reason for his departure, but his playing time could have diminished next season with the return of forward Leon Powe, the 2004 Pac-10 freshman of the year who missed last season with a knee injury, and the arrival of Jordan Wilkes, a highly-touted 6-11 center.
McGuire is the second player to leave coach Ben Braun's program this spring, leaving one scholarship open. Freshman forward Kevin Langford departed in March.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UF guards Wilbekin, Hill to play vs. Kansas
- Ducks overcome Henderson, Ole Miss in OT
- No. 24 San Diego St. rallies by Washington
- Buffs' buzzer-beater stuns No. 6 Jayhawks
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Jordan Men's Cal Golden Bears Blue Replica Performance Basketball Shorts