McCray facing three charges after fight
COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Maryland guard Chris McCray was arrested on charges of refusing to leave the scene of a fight and trying to flee when police went to handcuff him.
He was arrested early Sunday and charged with disturbing the peace, resisting arrest and escaping custody. He was released on personal recognizance during a hearing Monday.
About 15 people were involved in the mayhem downtown, Prince George's County police spokeswoman Diane Richardson said. Police and university officers broke up the fight, which was apparently between two groups.
McCray refused to leave after several warnings from police, Richardson said. One officer had to step between McCray and a man he was fighting, she said. When police tried to handcuff McCray, he allegedly broke free and tried to flee.
McCray, who will be a senior this year, averaged 14.1 points and 3.2 assists last year season.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Butler's Etherington (foot) to miss 3-4 months
- NCAA president calls for 'scholarships for life'
- Rick Pitino: 'Passion, enthusiasm' still high
- College of Charleston's Wojcik not recruiting
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Men's Maryland Terrapins Black #25 Replica Basketball Jersey