Teams will practice, live at UT-Tyler
The University of New Orleans men's and women's basketball teams will go to school, live and practice at the University of Texas at Tyler, not to be confused with Tyler Junior College, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com on Monday night.
An announcement from UNO is expected Tuesday.
UNO canceled its women's volleyball season after Hurricane Katrina devastated the city and shut down the campus for the fall semester. UNO will try to get its cross country and golf teams a home soon, too.
A UNO administrator and men's coach Monte Towe have connections to Tyler, and the ability of the school to have space for the teams made it appealing. UT-Tyler is a provisional NCAA Division III member institution and is in the American Southwest Conference.
It's unclear if UNO will play any home games at Tyler. UT-Tyler took in approximately 100 evacuees from Hurricane Katrina, according to the school Web Site.
Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Fond farewell: Terps stun Virginia in ACC finale
- Cuse closes regular season with rout of FSU
- Ohio St. pulls away late, edges Michigan St.
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Hurricane Katrina Coverage
• NFL's Katrina telethon raises $5 million
• NCAA won't change transfer waiver process
• Oklahoma City possible site for Hornets
• New Orleans Bowl may move to Lafayette
• NFL's Week 2 'Hurricane Relief'
• With hotels, Sugar Bowl to be at LSU
• Giants to redecorate stadium in Saints' colors
• Tulane to wear commemorative patches
• Superdome to be decontaminated
• Auburn player learns brothers alive
• Mississippi State-Tulane to hold telethon
• Bucher: Mr. Rogers' neighborhood
• NBA charity game lifts spirits
• Favre's hometown normal -- for a few hours
• ABC News coverage of Katrina