Prep star Oden may delay signing with Ohio State
High school basketball star Greg Oden is considering waiting to sign with Ohio State until the spring signing period when the full scope of NCAA sanctions against the school are known, the Indianapolis Star reported.
The national high school basketball player of the year reportedly said he still intends to play for the Buckeyes, to whom the 7-foot center made an oral commitment in June.
However, he might sign during the spring period that runs April 12 through May 17 instead of during the early period of Nov. 9-16, the Star said.
"I have no idea at this point," Oden said of when he would sign. "We haven't talked about it. We will have to talk about it first."
Sanctions against Ohio State will be announced after an NCAA infractions committee hearing scheduled for Dec. 9-10. Ohio State issued a self-imposed postseason ban last year, and if NCAA precedent is any indication, the Buckeyes won't be banned for the postseason in the future for violations that occurred under former coach Jim O'Brien.
It would take NCAA penalties that give Ohio State the equivalent of a three-year postseason ban to affect Oden and his class, who will be freshmen in 2006-07.
The class, considered the best in the country, includes Lawrence North point guard Mike Conley; Dayton, Ohio, guard Daequan Cook; and Cleveland guard David Lighty, all ranked in the top 30 in the nation, according to the Post.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Cincy coach Cronin (aneurysm) out indefinitely
- SMU's Kennedy cleared, will face Michigan
- E. Kentucky never trails, routs No. 18 Miami
- Vols' McGhee (foot) out at least 6-8 weeks