Broken foot will idle Hokies forward
Witherspoon, a 6-foot-7, 185-pound sophomore, had earned the starting small forward job, coach Seth Greenberg said. He broke the fifth metatarsal bone in his foot and will undergo surgery on Thursday at Montgomery Regional Hospital, the school said.
Witherspoon played in 23 games as a freshman, averaging 2.4 points and 1.3 rebounds. He scored a career-high nine points in a 65-60 victory against Temple in the NIT.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Coach K says ACC bubble teams are better
- Iowa St. rallies to beat Baylor for Big 12 title
- No. 1 Florida wears down Tenn., in SEC final
- Louisville takes first AAC final, tops UConn
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Virginia Tech Hokies Crossover Full-Sized Basketball