Texas sophomore forward Dowell will transfer
AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas sophomore forward Dion Dowell, who has played in three games this season while nursing an ankle injury, will transfer, coach Rick Barnes said Monday.
"Dion voiced concerns about his playing time now and in the future within our program, and he feels he'll have a better opportunity to make that happen at another school," Barnes said.
"We wish Dion all the best in the future."
Dowell averaged 3.0 points and 2.3 rebounds in his three games this season. He missed seven games because of the injured right ankle but returned to play 14 minutes off the bench in No. 15 Texas' 95-78 loss to Tennessee on Saturday.
Dowell played in 19 games as a freshman and started seven.
Texas (8-2) plays Texas State (7-1) on Thursday night.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Butler's Etherington (foot) to miss 3-4 months
- NCAA president calls for 'scholarships for life'
- Rick Pitino: 'Passion, enthusiasm' still high
- College of Charleston's Wojcik not recruiting
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Texas Longhorns Crossover Full-Sized Basketball