Man accused of killing USC player gets bond reduced
BATON ROUGE, La. -- Bond has been reduced slightly for a man indicted in the killing of a University of Southern California basketball player.
D'Anthony Norman Ford's bond on charges of second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder was cut Thursday from $350,000 to $300,000 by State District Judge Chip Moore. Prosecutors did not object to the reduction, saying it was in line with other cases involving such charges.
Ford, 19, is accused of the May 13 shooting of Ryan Francis, a USC point guard who played his high school basketball in Baton Rouge. The shooting occurred at an intersection about 3 a.m.
Police said Ford was driving an SUV and pulled in front of the car carrying Francis after recognizing the car's driver as someone he had been involved in a dispute with earlier that night.
In an affidavit, police contend that two of the three people riding in the car with Francis viewed a police lineup and identified Ford as the man who fired the fatal shots. Francis was riding in the back seat of the car when he was killed.
The attempted second-degree murder charge was filed because another man was in the back seat with Francis when shots were fired, authorities said. No one else in the vehicle was injured, police said.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press