Arkansas freshman Washington declared eligible
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas freshman Michael Washington was declared eligible for the upcoming basketball season by the Southeastern Conference, according to coach Stan Heath.
The Razorbacks had been waiting for Washington to be ruled academically eligible. The NCAA had already said he could play, so the SEC review was his last remaining roadblock. Heath told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that Washington has been cleared and will be available in the Razorbacks' first exhibition game Tuesday night against Xavier of New Orleans.
Washington, a forward, averaged 31.6 points, 14.8 rebounds and 9.0 blocked shots per game last year at Genesis One Christian School in Mendenhall, Miss. Genesis One is one of several prep schools whose academic standards have been under scrutiny from the NCAA.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Selection committee to monitor Embiid injury
- Mount St. Mary's (16-16) clinches NCAA bid
- Zags hold off BYU comeback, win WCC title
- Milwaukee wins Horizon title to reach tourney
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Arkansas Razorbacks Cardinal Full-Zip Basketball Performance Hoodie