Arizona benches top scorer Williams for rules violation
TUCSON, Ariz. -- Marcus Williams, Arizona's leading scorer, was benched for the Wildcats' game Wednesday night against Arizona State for a violation of team rules.
Williams, who sat on the bench for the Wildcats' 71-47 victory, did not speak to reporters. Coach Lute Olson would not elaborate on Williams' violation, but said he would play Saturday against No. 4 North Carolina.
Williams, a 6-foot-7 sophomore forward, leads the Wildcats (No. 19 ESPN/USA Today; No. 17 AP) with 18.1 points per game and is second with 7.6 rebounds per game.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC inviting athletes back to finish degrees
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- JanSport Men's Arizona Wildcats Cardinal 'Zona Zoo' Basketball T-Shirt