School officials say university is not to blame
CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Virginia may have won the National Invitation Tournament, but the Mountaineers' commemorative T-shirts are less than championship material.
They contain a misspelling.
The "West Virgina" printed on the shirts players wore after winning the NIT title with a 78-73 victory over Clemson on Thursday night is missing the last "i" in Virginia.
WVU sports information director Shelly Poe said the NIT printed the shirts.
Calls to tournament officials were not immediately returned Friday.
West Virginia coach John Beilein also could not be reached for comment. He and the team were on their way back to West Virginia on Friday after winning their first NIT title in 65 years.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Ohio St. rallies from 8 down in final minute
- Black helps No. 18 Kansas trounce Hoyas
- Randle rallies Kentucky to win over Belmont
- Illinois hands Mizzou first loss with late FTs
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Baden West Virginia Mountaineers Two-Tone Full-Size Basketball