Top 10 of the last 10: Most underrated
In the third part of a weeklong look at the past decade in college basketball, ESPN.com anoints its top 10 most underrated teams from the past 10 years.
Editor's note: This Top 10 list is an aggregate of the individual ballots from five ESPN/ESPN.com basketball experts. The experts' ballots can be found here.
The first two days of this exercise were pretty absolute. It's fairly clean to determine which teams or programs are in the running to be considered "the best." That's why the "others receiving votes" category was so thinly populated -- most of us agreed on most of the answers, albeit in different orders.
Today's category, though, is not so clean. Being underrated usually deals with a related lack of attention (media coverage, polls, etc.), but that's not always the case. Does it always have to be a smaller program that has achieved more than should be expected? Can a successful high-major program be underrated? How about one (or more) that have made a recent Final Four?
Maybe several of these programs are more "underappreciated" than underrated, but all 10 stay true to one central theme: Regardless of size, budget, league or absolute performance, all of them have delivered on the court in a fashion that surpasses the general perception of the programs.
Here they are today's Top 10: Most underrated programs of the last 10 seasons.
Others receiving votes: Gonzaga, Davidson, Winthrop, Utah, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Boston College, Vanderbilt, Memphis, Penn, Nevada, Oregon, Cincinnati, Saint Joseph's
Andy Glockner is a regular contributor to ESPN.com's college basketball coverage and is the host of the ESPNU College Basketball Insider podcast.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
- Creighton's Chatman set for thumb surgery
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Top 10 in the Last 10
ESPN.com's college basketball experts weigh in on college basketball over the last 10 years.
• Top 10 programs | Ballots
• Katz: Spartans take top spot
• Best individual teams | Ballots
• Lunardi: Hard to ignore UF
• Underrated programs | Ballots
• Bilas: Nice to be underrated
• The 10 underachievers | Ballots
• Gottlieb: Why they struggle
• 10 primed for success | Ballots
• Forde: Florida's primed for more
• SN: Rank the top programs
• SN: Rank the top seasons
• SN: Rank the underappreciated
• SN: Rank the underachieving
• SN: Rank the future kings