Harangody expected to miss 3-6 weeks with thumb injury
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame forward Luke Harangody, a Big East all-rookie team selection last season, tore a ligament in his right thumb and could miss the first six games of the season.
Harangody is expected to miss three to six weeks with the injury, which the school said he hurt during a practice Monday. He will be in a cast for the next several weeks and his status will be evaluated in three weeks.
The 6-foot-8 Harangody was Notre Dame's fourth-leading scorer at 11.2 points a game and second-leading rebounder at 6.2 a game. He started 16 games as the Irish went 24-8 last season.
Notre Dame opens the season Nov. 12 at home against Long Island and then plays three games in a tournament in the Virgin Islands.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA president: Pay-for-play isn't coming
- NCAA may work with power 5 conferences
- No. 1 Arizona runs over New Mexico State
- Former Hoya Whittington intends to transfer
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Notre Dame Fighting Irish Navy On-Court Practice T-Shirt